Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: questions about English paper piecing

questions about English paper piecing

2 questions about doing hexigons..... When you whipstitch the hexis together, how far apart should your stitches be? Once you have a group of hexis sewn together, what do you do next? I don't know how to finish them. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I've done the 3/4" about 20 stitches on each side. that's just me. I sewed mine tog with a green path. used all different greens. then I appliqued it to a black border, about 6 inches or so. I used black coz my kitty got it as a Christmas present. it didn't match anything I had, and she looked great on it. it's about 50" x 65"

Blog Entries
    I was sent some from a European quilter. Those stitches were so small I could almost not see them!!

Blog Entries
    I don't use a whip stitch because those stitches are visible. I use a ladder stitch instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am doing Grandmothers Flower Garden using 1930s reprofabrics/white. I use a buttonhole stitch! It makes a tiny hinge and the hexes lay nice and flat!
    Hilary

I am working on a hexie GMG - I also use the lader stitch - 1/8 inch per stitch - you really can't see the ladder stitch - it is very forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
    I am doing Grandmothers Flower Garden using 1930s reprofabrics/white. I use a buttonhole stitch! It makes a tiny hinge and the hexes lay nice and flat!
    What an intriguing idea! How many stitches per inch are you doing? I am working on a GFG myself and would like to try this method
    Sorcha

Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare View Post
    What an intriguing idea! How many stitches per inch are you doing? I am working on a GFG myself and would like to try this method
    About 15 stitches per inch!!!! I will try and post pics! Just got a new mini IPad so still learning how things work!!!!
    Hilary

This thread is extremely helpful to me! I've just begun my attempts at EPP. It's gone... okay. xD Still a LOT to learn! I've never done handwork before.
    Janome 6600MC, Janome 10001MC, Singer 221 Featherweight, Singer 500A Rocketeer, Singer 66 Red Eye Treadle

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  1.09 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  1.68 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  1.54 MBGot there! Work in progress!
    Hilary

Izy
    FAB work as usual H !!!!
    It's quarter to me time!!

Izy

Quote Originally Posted by Izy View Post
    FAB work as usual H !!!!
    It's growing S L O W L Y!!!!
    Hilary

Blog Entries
    When you wh stitch do it as close as possible and make sure you only pick up a tiny thread. Donot go into the paper in the hexagon. Match you thread where you can with the colour you are using or use an invisible or silk thread. Silk is best.
    Some people when the quilt use a fancy maching stitch which joins the hexes. Or you can hand embroider over if threads show.
    Finished is better than a UFO

A handy tip passed on to me.... When doing scrappy GFG keep all centres the same colour(I used red) but blue/green/yellow etc could be used....it helps even out the effect!
    Hilary

Those pics are perfect!! I can see exactly what I needed to know to try this! Thank you so much
    Sorcha

Those pics are perfect!! I can see exactly what I needed to know to try this! Thank you so much
    Thanks...glad to be of help!!!! First time I've posted pics from my Ipad...so a learning curve for me too!!!! Happy hexing!!!
    Hilary

Thank you for the help & the pics!! Your quilt is beautiful! I can't imagine how long it would take me to do something like that......but I may have to find out. So far, no one has answered part 2 of my question........ how do you finish it off once the hexis are sewn together? So, in your case, how will you go about putting backing onto your quilt-top?

Oh.....and how big are your hexis?

While I'm not the person you asked, here is a link to the tutorial I am using to finish my hexagon quilt, (when I get to that point. Only half finished with top so far)
    http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05...ie-quilts.html
    Sorcha

Quote Originally Posted by SavedByGrace View Post
    Thank you for the help & the pics!! Your quilt is beautiful! I can't imagine how long it would take me to do something like that......but I may have to find out. So far, no one has answered part 2 of my question........ how do you finish it off once the hexis are sewn together? So, in your case, how will you go about putting backing onto your quilt-top?
    It has taken me nearly 12months so far(but have done several other projects as well)!! It was a project I started when I had knee replacement last July. I have been quilting for 18yrs and never thought I would ever do hexagons!! Now I am hooked and this will be kingsize WHEN finished!! I intend to square it off,back it and bind as normal! I have a friend who does beautiful Long Arm quilting so will trust her to quilt it! My hexes are 1 inch! I print them from texasfreckles.com
    Hilary

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    i have never done a hexagon quilt and always wondered about how you sew them together..so thanks for photos and links they were greatly appreciated. If anyone is interested look up Tula Pinks Hex on the Beach quilt which is a more modern take on a hexagon quilt and I am in love with it and seriously would have bought the kit but it is no longer available...
    True friends are like diamonds
    They are precious and rare.

While I'm not the person you asked, here is a link to the tutorial I am using to finish my hexagon quilt, (when I get to that point. Only half finished with top so far)
    http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05...ie-quilts.html
    Thank you Tilladare for posting this link. I had seen it before, but for the life of me, couldn't find it again. Will be sure to bookmark it! I am near finishing up a hexagon quilt top, and think this may be a good way to go. I usually applique the top to a stright edge, because I don't want to lose the hexie shape, but this looks very interesting. thanks again!

humbird, please be sure and post a pic when you get your top finished!
    Sorcha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I don't use a whip stitch because those stitches are visible. I use a ladder stitch instead.
    I started using the whipstitch and then found the ladder stitch--what a difference. A much neater looking seam. As I'm doing 3/4" hexi's I think they may be an1/8th of an inch apart. I like badskirts method, but that takes alot of extra hexi's. I have appliqued the top to border pieces.

Very nice SavedByGrace
    Last edited by oksewglad; 06-13-2013 at 05:35 PM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I was sent some from a European quilter. Those stitches were so small I could almost not see them!!
    That's the way I do mine and my friends just gasp when they turn it over and see my stitches! Literally mine are a needle's width apart and I use an 11 Straw needle. But seriously, everyone finds their own rythm and what they can live with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast