Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about setting up leaders on quilt frame >

Questions about setting up leaders on quilt frame

Questions about setting up leaders on quilt frame

Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Here is a link to the Youtube video that shows how to mark your leader centers after they are on the frame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3b3E6RlLyM
I believe this is the same woman who developed and sells Red Snappers. One reason I am planning on getting Red Snappers rather than Leader Grips is because with the Red Snappers, the part that snaps on to the rods is flexible. On her website she shows how you can flex that part back to open up the gripping area to make it easier to get them on the rods. With both types, I have read they are hard to use at first and then loosen up with use.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Ok! I had some downtime today, so I've ordered the Quilter's Cruise Control, Red Snappers, a ruler, and the darning plate to cover the feed dogs on my machine.

The quilt rack came with some leader fabric, so I'm going to overstitch the edges for a start. When the Red Snappers come, I'll make the sleeve. I feel much better and even though it's still going to be a little bit of a process to get set up, I feel like I'm going in the right direction.

Now if only I could get out of the camping trip this weekend, but I don't think my family would appreciate that!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:20 PM

You'll love the Red Snappers!
Old 06-24-2014, 08:21 PM
Power Poster

Are you thinking of using a ruler for quilting? Because typically you cannot use a ruler unless you also have a ruler table to go around the throat of the machine. I forgot what machine you have. Is it a Juki?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:18 PM

1. Should I invest in pre-marked leaders?

Absolutely. They are well worth the money spent on them.
I noticed that others suggest making your own leaders. That works, but it requires that you sew absolutely straight lines; I often stray from the straight, so the purchased leaders work great for me.

2. What's the best way to attach the leaders onto the rails and make sure they're straight/square?

I use long strips of velcro. It seems to hold up well.

At this point, you should also make sure the entire frame is square. If it is not, then no matter how hard you try or what else you do, your quilting will be skewed by the out of square frame. My frame was not straight for a very long time and no matter what I did, I could not get a straight quilting line. I am still amazed at the difference that has made for my quilting!

If you ever move the frame from where it is originally set up, check to ensure that it is still square before you load your next quilt.

3. How do I make sure that the centers on the leaders match from rail to rail? There are no markings on the rails.

1) Measure the rails and mark the center point on each rail.
2) Mark the centers of each leader before you put them on the rails. I saw that others say to do it after you have the leaders on the rail. Whatever works for you is fine.
3) Start attaching each leader from the center mark on the leader at the marked center of the rail, then move move to the left of the center and attach the left side, then to the right to secure the right side.

Velcro allows you to adjust the leaders if you don't get them on perfectly straight when you first attach them.

4. Do any of you use the zipper method of attaching your quilts to the leaders? I used a longarm at my LQS a long time ago and spent a good part of the day getting poked like crazy.

Not me. I cheat a lot on attaching the quilt sandwich to the frame. The backing is the only part of the sandwich that I pin to the first rail. The batting and quilt top are "floated" on the backing and over the second rail. I quilt that way until I reach the 2nd to last row as the weight of the batting and top keep the sandwich tension even until then. At that point, I attach the backing to the second rail, tighten it, (still floating the batting and top) and continue quilting.

My quilts are for family or charity, never for a judged show, and I am not a perfectionist. This method works well for me, and I don't prick my fingers or scratch my hands and arms very much.

There are products for sale that allegedly make it easier to attach the quilt to the leaders without pins, but I haven't tried any of them.

Have fun with your frame and long arm!

Last edited by cathyvv; 06-24-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 PM

Oh. No. I seem to have lost a box of my quilting supplies when we moved. This was just an omnigrid ruler that I don't think I can piece without! I need to get set up before I start going crazy with accessories. Plus, I've already spent so much that I need to wait a while for anything extra.

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Are you thinking of using a ruler for quilting? Because typically you cannot use a ruler unless you also have a ruler table to go around the throat of the machine. I forgot what machine you have. Is it a Juki?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM

Thank you!! This is excellent advice. I will talk to my husband about making sure that the rack is square-- he's kind of genius in that way and I'm sure he'll help.

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
1. Should I invest in pre-marked leaders?

Absolutely. They are well worth the money spent on them.
I noticed that others suggest making your own leaders. That works, but it requires that you sew absolutely straight lines; I often stray from the straight, so the purchased leaders work great for me.

2. What's the best way to attach the leaders onto the rails and make sure they're straight/square?

I use long strips of velcro. It seems to hold up well.

At this point, you should also make sure the entire frame is square. If it is not, then no matter how hard you try or what else you do, your quilting will be skewed by the out of square frame. My frame was not straight for a very long time and no matter what I did, I could not get a straight quilting line. I am still amazed at the difference that has made for my quilting!

If you ever move the frame from where it is originally set up, check to ensure that it is still square before you load your next quilt.

3. How do I make sure that the centers on the leaders match from rail to rail? There are no markings on the rails.

1) Measure the rails and mark the center point on each rail.
2) Mark the centers of each leader before you put them on the rails. I saw that others say to do it after you have the leaders on the rail. Whatever works for you is fine.
3) Start attaching each leader from the center mark on the leader at the marked center of the rail, then move move to the left of the center and attach the left side, then to the right to secure the right side.

Velcro allows you to adjust the leaders if you don't get them on perfectly straight when you first attach them.

4. Do any of you use the zipper method of attaching your quilts to the leaders? I used a longarm at my LQS a long time ago and spent a good part of the day getting poked like crazy.

Not me. I cheat a lot on attaching the quilt sandwich to the frame. The backing is the only part of the sandwich that I pin to the first rail. The batting and quilt top are "floated" on the backing and over the second rail. I quilt that way until I reach the 2nd to last row as the weight of the batting and top keep the sandwich tension even until then. At that point, I attach the backing to the second rail, tighten it, (still floating the batting and top) and continue quilting.

My quilts are for family or charity, never for a judged show, and I am not a perfectionist. This method works well for me, and I don't prick my fingers or scratch my hands and arms very much.

There are products for sale that allegedly make it easier to attach the quilt to the leaders without pins, but I haven't tried any of them.

Have fun with your frame and long arm!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:29 PM

Thank you so much for all of your replies! I'm reading and re-reading all of them. I want to get set up properly, so your feedback is very important to me. I can't wait to share some quilts with you! At least a photo of the room. :-)
Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 PM

I have cheap tape measures glues on the leaders beginning at 0 in the centre going both ways.

Love my red snappers so quick. Once you master putting them on. Fiddley and stiff to begin.

Keep going asking questions no one here will complain as we all asked the same questions earlier and later on you will be giving the answers.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 AM

Thank you! I'm looking forward to contributing positively to the board. :-)