Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions from my first quilt camp experience >

Questions from my first quilt camp experience

Questions from my first quilt camp experience

Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 AM

Default Questions from my first quilt camp experience

What's the best machine to take to a quilt camp or class? I have 2 Singers--a Touch & Sew 758 (my main machine) and a 401A. I grew up using a Singer so I'm most comfortable with them. I was intimidated by fellow quilters because I didn't have a "fancy" machine but when all I do is a straight stitch & reverse why do I need a computerized machine? I can adjust my stitch length and cut my own thread easily enough. Is having a needle up/down feature all that important? [HR][/HR] Most participants were great but a few seemed less than impressed with my stuff. I was apparently using the wrong thread and needle size! I've been quilting for almost 10 years and I'm a hand quilter ! I wanted to tell one particularly snooty woman that she wasn't a quilter but just a piecer. I did notice a couple of ladies with Featherweights and they were using Coats & Clark all purpose thread--is that allowed? [HR][/HR] Don't get me wrong, I intend to return next year but should I be looking for a different machine (or a different table partner?)
Old 09-24-2013, 05:21 AM

different table partner!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Oh dear, sounds like some machine and thread snobs. I do own a high end machine now but I have owned many Singers over the years. If the machine is working for you, don't let them intimidate you. I do think needle down is a key asset for Free Motion Quilting. It allows you to stop in the middle of a quilting design to reposition your hands without the quilt sandwich moving. If you don't FMQ, it isn't as critical.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:28 AM

I would use a machine that I am comfortable with. I don't take my featherweight to retreats unless it is a one day only event, as I am very protective with it. Overnight retreats I take my older singer, simple straight stitching is all I would be sewing. Coats & Clarks thread works very well for me - use it all the time for piecing. I have been quilting for the past 40 years, the last 13 professionally and find that when I use what I'm comfortable with I have less problems and more fun.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Banned

Get a different table partner! I have a Janome Gem Gold that I bought just for classes. It's a really basic machine and I could care less what anyone else thinks.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-24-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

See if you can talk a friend into going with you! I would not get a new machine, as yours works just fine. As far as thread, I get better results using a thinner weight thread, however, that's just me. You've been quilting long enough to know what you like & what works for you. When I encounter the quilt police, I just say thank you, smile, then continue doing it my way.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 AM

THANK YOU all! I'm not opposed to changing things if it will improve my skills. I learned to sew from my mother as a child and a woman from church taught me to quilt. I've picked up piecing tricks from magazines and TV shows but most of those use new (sponsor's) machines. I don't have to worry that the motherboard is going to fail on my Touch & Sew!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 AM

I have a small maching for classes but take my larger one for longer retreats. Like you, I do not need all the fancy stitches. Just an added expence that will not likely be used. I do love the needle down feature. Lived without it for years and llived to tell about it. As for thread, I like the Connecting Thread spools simply because they are so large. I can do a few quilts without having to run back to the store for more spools.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 AM

I have a high end Berdina embroidery machine, but saying that I have several old singers and use them a lot.
As for the needle down feature I learned from Granny you can just tyrn the wheel so the needle is down and then reposition fabric, she was so smart.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Their fancy machines most likely can't handle Coats and Clark. I use Coats and Clark in my vintage machines but Aurafil in my Janome.
Just ignore them, go on with life, find nice people and be happy.

As for take along machines I like the Janome Jem, this one can handle coats and clark, as it can do all the basic stuff. If all I am doing is piecing I'll take a Feather weight or vintage Bernina 830.

I think the Singer 401 would be heavy to take to class so i would take the touch and sew in your case. The bonus is that is your main machine to start with.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 09-24-2013 at 06:11 AM.