Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions from a Newbie... >

Questions from a Newbie...

Questions from a Newbie...

Old 12-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Default Questions from a Newbie...

I am really new to quilting so please forgive any stupid questions I may ask. I want to take photos and make them into fabric for my first quilt. What is the best way to do this? What product can I use to ensure the photo fabric last a long time? Thank you in advance for any assistance with this.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

there are special printer fabric sheets you can purchase- some are transfers (like decals on t-shirts) some are printed right on the fabric-like any printed fabric---you need to read the packages and find the one that fits your needs-some are washable-some are better suited for wall hangings. most will fade with time (and laundering)
you need an inkjet printer (not a laser printer)
you need to use good quality permenent ink (not the inexpensive knock off cartridges- or refill's)
you can prepare fabric for dyeing press it to freezer paper and do it yourself- but being your first time it may be best to purchase one of the ready mades- and after you have some experience you will feel more confident to experiment.
the pre-made products range in prices some come in packages of only 3 sheets--some packs of 10- visit a joannes-or a local quilt shop and see what they have in stock and read the packs---there is a new transfer one out that is supposed to make the picture softer-better and be permenent---found in some local quilt shops (the transfer ones you print your picture on the product---then iron it onto your fabric---
if you are doing a wallhanging-project that will not be laundered you have more options...for items that will be washed you need to really follow the instructions ---and use the stuff made to be washed...so read, read, read...and have fun with it-
and don't hesitate to ask your questions-the only dumb ones are the ones that don't get asked
Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 PM

I agree with other post. Good luck! No question stupid!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Ckcowl. Welcome from S CA. No question is ever stupid except the one you do not ask!!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 PM

You have been given great advice for picture quilts. Experience doesn't matter nearly as much as desire.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

I use the Electric Quilt fabric sheets - they work well so far. Welcome aboard And ask as many questions as you want we will help all we can
Old 12-17-2011, 05:59 AM

welcome from se TX -- I always enjoy the questions from newbies because they are things the rest of us want to know
Old 12-17-2011, 07:18 AM

I can't add any better advice than what ckcowl posted. I will just add that "newbie" or not, keep those questions coming! We ALL learn from the questions that others ask. Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting!!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Totally agree with ckcowl.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:09 AM

So glad you asked this question. I've been wanting to use photo fabric but hesitated to try on my own and (unfortunately) right now cannot afford a class. (This too will pass.) I'll be re-reading these posts and following links.