Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Questions from newer quilter

Questions from newer quilter

I have made quilts and had them long arm quilted. Always used cotton fabric and backing and did not prewash either.
    I would like to make some flannel quilts and some baby quilts with cotton front and flannel or minky backing.

Do I need to prewash the flannel or minkee when using a mix of cotton with them.

Thanks so much, Terry

Yes, you will want to wash those fabrics, lots of shrinkage with flannel. I've never used minkee, but will probably need a prewash too.

I don't think minkee shrinks but it is very stretchy and may be hard to work with. I have read others who have used it for backings though.

Blog Entries
    I wash all flannel when it comes into house. It shrinks so bad. Not as good as quality as it used to be.
    sew1

I would recommend prewashing flannels for backing if the top is cotton. Prewashing is not necessary for minkee. I have been longarming for clients for over 5 years and have used minkee many times. It isn't difficult, just takes extra care. Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    I've never prewashed minkie fabric and have used it on lots of quilts, my queen sized bed quilt has a minkie back- it's been laundered many times- never an issue- or reason to pre-wash. as for the flannel- the flannel will shrink some- so I often (but not always) pre-wash flannels if I am mixing flannels and regular cottons- unless I'm making raggy quilts- then I do not pre-wash the flannels. quilting and choice of batting also plays a role in the amount of shrinkage you will experience in a quilt- really the only time I (always) pre-wash is if the fabric *flannel* is very thin-loose weave and/or the fabric I am using is a deep saturated color that may bleed.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

When it comes to washing flannel, it seems like a good idea to prewash the flannel, because flannels shrink differently depending on who makes the fabric, thread count, color saturation and so on. On the other hand, I was once told by a LQS owner that prewashing is not needed. Just use your judgment.

Yes, wash the flannel! I wash it and dry it twice to get 'full shrinkage' and remove a ton of lint. I've never used minkee, so no comment.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I always wash flannel - it shrinks and has lots of lint. I've used Minkee several times without pre washing. No problems with it.

I used minky once and won't use it again. What a mess cutting it! And it certainly does stretch.