Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions for those that Dye their own fabric. >

Questions for those that Dye their own fabric.

Questions for those that Dye their own fabric.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Oh...Patsy's blog is so inspiring! Her microwave technique is very interesting.

~ Cindy
Yes, I think that is a clever idea. Soon as I get my fabric in from Dharma I'm going to play some, because it looks like there are so many different ways to dye fabric. Didn't know that the dye would last so long, thought it had to be thrown out after use, not again!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM

I know! She had that stuff for so many months. Personally, my fridge isn't big enough to give up the "real estate" for that long.

I'm really interested in natural, vegetable dyes. I wonder how well they hold up?

~ Cindy
Old 04-24-2014, 01:58 PM

I'd also like to use stamps, natural materials, or linoleum blocks for printing with veggy dyes on quilting fabrics.

~ Cindy
Old 04-25-2014, 02:49 AM

I've never bought PFD fabric, have always used either muslin or whatever 100% cotton fabric i could find. So far the best results have come from the higher quality muslin. I use soda ash like others have mentioned, this is a crucial step to get the color to really set in.

The freezer paper method works great and elmers glue resist is fun. My family and i like to do that as a group activity. We are always looking for things to do to get us all around the table crafting together and faux batik was a big hit. We used plain acrylic paints and thinned them to a water color type consistency. After it's completely dry you peel off the paper, soak in cold water to remove the glue and then iron the pieces dry to set the paint. I liked the ability to do whatever i wanted so much that i'm considering making a dress this way.

I know that vegetable dyes don't hold up for a very long time and they fade fast in frequent washing. I prefer the procion dyes. They are the same quality as the tie dyed t-shirts you buy at head shops. Hold up well with hot water washing and being bleached.

Another technique that i have seen and have on my to-do list is rust dying. I've seen some really great antiqued looking fabrics made with rust. Just need to find a place to do it.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:24 AM

Rust? Tell me more about that. I'm looking for natural methods to dye organic cottons and other natural materials.

~ Cindy
Old 04-25-2014, 06:29 AM

I just looked up rust dying...very interesting. There's also an article about clay dying.

~ Cindy
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 AM

You can dye with soooo many things that are natural. As a kid i used to play with onion skins, they work on fabric and easter eggs too! Red beets and cranberries work too but my experience with them was always the accidental type. Pretty much anything that is a tough stain to get out can be used to dye but anything organic has a tendency to fade.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:52 AM

I know...I'm really on a tangent here...LOL. I was snooping around and came across mushroom dying. Now that's interesting. The colors were gorgeous! We live where there are tons of different kinds of mushrooms during the winter months. I may take a local class on dying with shrooms the next time it's offered.

~ Cindy
Old 04-26-2014, 03:54 AM

The fading may not be a bad thing. The finished quilt could become softer and gentler as it is used, like a favorite pair of jeans.

~ Cindy