Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUICK binding quistion >

QUICK binding quistion

QUICK binding quistion

Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Question QUICK binding quistion

I have watched plenty of youtube videos on how to bind a quilt the one thing I haven't seen addresses is how much to fold over. I have been folding the binding over so it snug with the edge of the quilt, how ever this causes a lot of binding fabric on the backside. Should I only be folding the binding in HALF???

I can post a picture to show you what I mean if you would like.
TIA
Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 AM

I fold my binding in half so it catches both raw edges when sewn to the quilt. It makes it stronger.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 AM

I am a new quilter too, less than 3 years, but I was shown to fold (in about half) to the stitching line, then just cover it. If you like your binding "full", then leave more of the edge when you "square up"/ "trim edges" of the quilt. Most of the ladies in my group leave it 1/4 to 1/2 inches wide (front, batting, backing, plus the binding seam). I am sure that the more professional quilters will have a better description. If you are entering a competition with the quilt, then follow their rules exactly, or you will be disqualified.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

if you cut your binding at 2 1/2", fold in half-press it is 1 1/4" wide- stitch to one side of front using a 1/4" seam allowance then fold to the other side- it should be brought over the machine stitches- and be *full* if you enter your quilts into any contests/shows the judges check to be sure the binding is uniformly full- not left empty. if you prefer to have less of a (fold-over) you could cut your binding strips at 2" instead of 2 1/2- which will give you a narrower fold over allowance. the folded edge should cover the line of machine stitching then be hand stitched in place.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Banned

My criteria for good bindings are:

Even width
Binding is full
Well mitred corners
If using a patterned fabric then cut with the pattern and not grain line (length or cross) Or, referred to as fussy cutting the binding.

If using 2 1/2" cut binding makes the back too wide then cut the binding a little narrower. However, if the binding is wider on the back than the front, this is ok as long as the amount is even. I prefer to have the edge of the binding just cover the seam line on the back of the quilt. I usually sew with a 3/8" seam rather than a 1/4" seam unless the binding is on the edge of patchwork and must use the 1/4" seam.

These are the basic criteria we use in judging binding.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:34 AM

I agree with all of the above, but reserve the right to machine sew down my bindings (both sides). I use a decorative stitch in a thread color matching the binding so the stitches disappear. My quilts are to be used/abused and the edges/bindings get a lot of pulling and tugging so I need them to be strong. Sewing them down by machine will give you that strength. It isn't a "proper quilting technique", but it works for me and I've never had any complaints from recipients.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:42 AM

I have learned through trial and error that using a strip 2 1/2" wide works well for me. I machine sew it on the first time with a 3/8" seam and when I turn it over to the back it covers the stitching nicely.

Holice----I have wondered how judges judge a binding. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

I find that 2 1/4" works best for me.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 AM

Thanks ladies for all your help. While I was doing my Twister wall hanging the pattern said 2 inch for binding, its not to much I guess I was just folding the binding over too far. I am working on another Twister wall hanging now and wanted to get the binding right. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 AM

Are you folding your binding double to begin with.......so you have two raw edges together on one side and a folded edge on the other?