Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick and easy but also interesting pattern?

Quick and easy but also interesting pattern?

I need to make a house warming quilt and I do not have a whole lot of time. It should fit the queen size bed. Do you have any ideas or suggestions. The recipient is not very traditional and not a quilter but likes quilts and does not have any. Help! I am drawing a blank! Thanks!!!!!
    I've got a smile on my face, I've got four walls around me
    The sun in the sky, the water surrounds me
    I'll win now but sometimes I'll lose
    I've been battered, but I'll never bruise

Power Poster
    Go buy one?

Blog Entries
    Why not make her a throw?
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Blog Entries
    What about one of the quilts Jenny Doan demonstrates? http://quiltingtutorials.com/
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    yep, or tube quilts. blocks make up fast and easily.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

You might want to take a look at Bernatex fabric's De Novo pattern - you'd need to add a few repititions to get it to the size you want - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWc&cad=rja I have made this quilt lap size - it was super quick ( http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...o-t205991.html ) and I know there are several other colorways posted on the board as well. And Bernatex has several free patterns that are pretty quick! Good Luck and show your progress!

Blog Entries
    French braid quilts are fun, easy and look fabulous! they go together quite quickly- I've put together queen sized ones in a weekend. here's a weekend French braid quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

WOW that quilt is beautiful ckcowl, and it would take me more than a weekend to do that and I consider myself experience quilter LOL

Blog Entries
    How about the 10 min Block? The D9P is also very quick but look to those who have no idea like its a lot of work.

Power Poster
    How about MSQC Merry Go Round quilt. It is super simple and if done in modern fabrics and colours it could look very modern. It would work up quickly because of the pattern and could be done in colours to match the bedroom. If you don't know the bedroom colours you could do it in white/gray/ black?

Blog Entries
    French braid quilts are really beginner friendly- easy quilts- they just look like they take a long time- the most difficult part is truly choosing a 12-color run.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Trip Around the World is easy and looks like you spent forever piecing all those squares. Eleanor Burns method can be made in an afternoon an then add your time for quilting it.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Tartan is right, MSQC Merry go round quilt. I just made one and it is super easy and quick. I just increased the size from what Jenny made. Made it start to finish in couple of days.

Ditto Tartan....the MSQC Marry Go Round Quilt would be awasome made up in batiks for a more modern feel.

Here's one I've done twice now - two fabrics, simple squares and rectangles. It's great to showcase a large print fabric, too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smaller.jpg 
Views:	1106 
Size:	607.6 KB 
ID:	427304

Did you sleep????

The Easy Trip Around the World is easy, fast, and fabulous! It looks way harder to make than it actually is and turns out beautifully every time! I've just finished piecing one and can hardly wait to start the next one.

I am thinking any of the Turning Twenty quilts would do or a Warm Wishes quilt. I have seen both and they are quite pretty and rather quick to make also.

Wow! Beautiful colors! Is that put together with fabric, batting and batting sewn at the same time? (Like a QAYG)

I've not made one yet, but my mom says the Disappearing 9 Patch is the easiest she's made yet. And she has made lots of quilts. She uses 4 1/2" squares to make the original 9 Patch. But you could save time using precut
    5" charm squares.
    Thimble and Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    French braid quilts are fun, easy and look fabulous! they go together quite quickly- I've put together queen sized ones in a weekend. here's a weekend French braid quilt.
    This is beautiful, guess I need to try one soon. Wow, thanks for showing this.

I agree with 10 min. block or D9P. If you have the charm packs the D9P goes together in an afternoon.
    Good luck!

I agree with 10 min. block or D9P. If you have the charm packs the D9P goes together in an afternoon.
    Good luck!

For quick & gorgeous, you can't go wrong with the original BQ quilt using only 3 fabrics. Tip....don't use directional fabrics! I am a slow sewer & after cutting, which takes one afternoon, I can sew a queen size of this pattern together in one other afternoon. I made this for a BIL who was going through chemotherapy. You can use different big blocks to focus on more than one fabric, but for me, I love the 3 color ones. Just make sure you have enough contrast.

The BQ pattern does not call for borders, but since I am a little bit traditional and I like them, I added them anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 07-31-2013 at 05:47 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

QuiltingaddictUK posted a link in 2011 for a double disappearing 9 patch - http://afewscraps.blogspot.com/2011/...ine-patch.html It's on my "someday" list. It looks complex but isn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast