Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick, guess what your stash is worth >

Quick, guess what your stash is worth

Quick, guess what your stash is worth

Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 AM

Terry that's right the quilts kept. Take pictures and keep as reference / proof
Old 01-02-2015, 09:36 AM

If I had to put a value on my stash of material at todays prices, I would have to ball park the value at about 5k, then there's all the tools and thread, probably another 2k and then the machines I'd have to add another 4k.

This subject is a real eye opener, I would guess everyone who has any kind of hobby/craft type business that they run in their home should really sit down with their insurance agent and adjust their insurances.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:37 AM

I don't want to think about how much fabric I have that I'm not using. It's too depressing! So much $ in the closet not being utilized. I've been on a fabric moratorium for the last couple of years, but always end up buying special fabric to use in a special quilt anyway. I hereby RESOLVE to not buy ANY NEW FABRIC for new quilts this year!!!

(except for Alexander Henry's Mirage fabric - that quilt is already on the schedule, just have to buy the fabric, but I justify this with the fact that I will be using scraps for the rest of the quilt.)
Old 01-02-2015, 04:00 PM

This gives me pause. I just finished moving and I think I will start doing a inventory as I get organized. This would not only be for theft, but fire. Remember cotton burns.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:45 PM

This is a topic we discussed (actually the whole house) this past summer when our detached garage/shop got wiped out from a mini-twister (house relatively untouched!) The agent said that with something like we experienced, or a fire, they would probably just use the total loss replacement and that doesn't require us to list each individual item. But we did agree that we'd do a photo "inventory" of the entire house (this took some time!) and put it on a thumb drive--one went to our agent and one to the safety deposit box.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:53 PM

I mentioned this to my hubby this morning. At which point he noted that his guitars don't even total to the cost of my machine and cabinet. Sigh. I did a quick inventory of part of my fabrics and I suspect I have 150+ yards of batiks, and then 2 bins of other fabrics. Then there is the excessive fat quarter collection that is mostly batiks. I would guess I'm somewhere between $20,000 and $30,000 total. Yikes!
Old 01-02-2015, 07:34 PM

I have been to auctions and stash is often not respected as much as we value our stash.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
For an experiment, I was wondering now much fabric I could get in a 12 x 16 x 12 inch box.

Approximately 109 yards of " regular" quilting cotton fabric - which weighed approximately 30.5 pounds.
So at 100x10 that means about $1000 worth of fabric at retail prices (average/average high).???

Wow. I mailed myself 3 or 4 boxes (16x16x16) to myself this year... for shipping purposes, I put yard sale values on the box--max of $45 or I have to pay customs.... plus, I don't send myself quilt shop fabric in boxes via the post office. That comes over in my carryon!

But I'm afraid to say how much the value of my fabric is. Better go sew!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:11 AM

I know for insurance purposes you should have a price on them, and I am wondering if that includes the quilts that we have made and they are on a bed, couch, back of a chair!!! I think I could say maybe $10,000, but in reality PRICELESS! It can't be replaced. Your favorite machine, the fabrics that you picked out and bought, or a special friend gave to you as a gift. I have gifts of Jelly Rolls that I am going to make a quilt out of and they were all given to me - Priceless. Sometimes replacement value means nothing. It is what is in your heart and what you did to get the fabric, how much the fabric means to you. I am not money oriented so I probably sound a little spaced out, but I love my fabric. Not for me, but for what I can do with it and that means more to me than any replacement value in the world. If I see a fabric I like, I buy it, if it is on sale, I buy it (if I like it). I do mostly samplers, so I don't need a whole lot of this fabric or that fabric, just a little piece will do just fine for me. I always buy sale fabric, never full price and then it is my challenge to see what I can do with it. That, too, makes it priceless. I am not rich by any means, and I buy fabric from artsy shops, barrels, thrift shops and I take it home, wash it and iron it and fold it and put it with the color it goes to and when I need a color, I go for the box and there is the fabric - "Oh, hey, I forgot I had that!" Another priceless!!!!! But if I don't like a fabric, I don't buy it. It is always my choice. I am making my cousin a couch quilt (I call it a coverlet - 52x80 - and he wants it in blue, beige and brown. I can do that - I have blue, beige and brown and it will be a double Pinwheel. I love sewing quilts. It gives me peace, contentment and it has brought me through the hardest time of my life, when my husband and mother died within four months. I thank my husband for appreciating what made me happy and I thank my mother for teaching me what makes me happy. Priceless. Edie
Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 AM

Since my goal this year is to "Create or Donate", I will have an easier time of inventory. I will sort as I go! I have about $40,000 in machines and way too much of the fabric and goodies. I am thinking of trying to sell fat quarters and 1 yard cuts to downsize! It is such a daunting task to even think about. Anyone want to buy a longarm with the computer component? Then I could set up a table in my sewing room and start the work at hand.