Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quick question about when quilts are judged at a show. >

Quick question about when quilts are judged at a show.

Quick question about when quilts are judged at a show.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:18 AM

I don't think the backing matters just so it looks good. Sometimes they ask about 'art' on the backing. Mostly quilts are judged on workmanship, quilting, binding - thick enough and are the miters stitched down. I've found that the judges for my Guild's shows usually offer a little critical feedback and also include something to praise. If you didn't quilt it yourself make sure you indicate who did.

May in Jersey who should be working hard on her quilt for her Guild's show in May instead of hanging out online, LOL!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. There are only two quilters to credit--and I'd definitely do that--the quilting is such a big part of the quilt and no way can I take credit.
I've always stitch down the miters--although I've often wondered why and hate it. :lol:

Now to make final decisions. Then I have to baste forms to each quilt back and put each in a pillowcase with a form basted on each of those. It seems odd to stitch paper onto things, but I appreciate the fact they're trying to be careful.

May in Jersey--I hope you got your work done! :-D
Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Within our Guild of 40 women, those that entered quilts at the county fair were marked down for bindings more than anything else. Keep them full and naturally use double fabric folded, never single. The other thing was a small unclipped thread showing. Of course there was a judge once say the fabric design chosen was not conclusive with the pattern but what the hey---it was a beautiful quilt we all thought. Good Luck. Enter and learn. There is no shame in that.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Go ahead and enter them. Your quilts are beautiful. I think you will do great.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 PM

Not to interrupt or be too pushy or anything, but, last year at a local fair, my Sister in Law entered her quilt and took best of show. (Purple Ribbon) Her quilt back was pieced together with extra blocks to mimic the front in some places. So I guess that like others have said, it really is the discretion of the judges.

I have been to guild shows that have been open to the public where most all the quilts had different fabrics on the backs pieced together. In fact one quilt was "double sided". It was actually 2 quilts in one and it took the highest honors of the guild and peoples' choice.

Do what you think is best and in my opinion, may be pleasantly surprised. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:21 AM

Oh I definitely will let you know what happens. The show is April 23-24th... and I have the week before off, so it works well, timing wise. And I'll have to take pictures of the other quilts there so you all can come! :wink:
Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 AM

HI Barn bum,
Good subjestions. And I agree the first thing is the full french binding. That is the double fab binding. Never a single layer.
The pieced backs are very popular and maybe an extra block worked in and a lable always. Some shows want a sleve on the back a certain way to hang them.
I would just go for it and learn. That is how we grow.
Best wishes.
Connie
Old 03-08-2010, 03:31 AM

Oops--I've never put a label on my quilts. I wrote my name and the date on one with a perm quilting marker once..I'm willing to do that. :-D
Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 AM

I think that the back should be your choice and I love pieced backs. Anyone can put on a plain back. My guild members use up the fabric left over from their quilt sometimes if they have enough.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Quilt police may pose as judges, so be forewarned.
What are quilt police? Thanks