Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quicker? half square triangles

Thank you all for your ideas and information. It never fails! I look on this board and I ALWAYS learn something. Now I have to go try all the ideas for making HST's. Happy Easter too.!

There is Tiger Tape as well on the market and it works very well but you do have to sit and tape each set still. I wish there was a way to just do it without the markings and then get on with the blocks but when I try I always mess up.

I have a question about the half square triangle. How do you know what size to cut the 2 squares to get the block size you want? For instance, if I wanted a 4" finished square?

current quilt in the making requires lots of 1/2 sq triangles, found this idea but have lost the site, maybe 2 sisters, but will look for instructions when I get home. cut strip width of fabric x size of triangle plus 7/8 inch of each material. matching face to face sew 1/4 in seam at top and bottom u will have a long rectangle, square end, take triangle cut one, flip triangle cutting from other side of rectangle, so on ---------- AVAVAVAVAVAV (a & v standing in for triangles) hope this makes sense to you, will continue looking for site.
    Last edited by OKLAHOMA PEACH; 04-09-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    If you put two squares together and sew 1/4 inch all the way around, then cut in half corner to corner, you get the same results easier
    How do you figure out how big to make the two squares? Say you need 2 1/2" HST, how big would the squares need to be? What is the formula? Thanks in advance, Jeanne
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

the instructions above are for the wondercut ruler at wondercutruler.com use plenty of starch, i don't have a wondercut ruler but do have a triangle maker ruler.

Check out triangulations. i have found it to be the easiest and most accurate. AND you can make any size half square triangles that you need. Otherwise you can buy the paper with the sewing lines on and you just sew and cut!!! easy easy easy!!!

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to a tutorial here on the making 8 HSTs at a time, including the formula for how big of squares to use.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t141047.html

I agree with auntpiggylpn. The plastic that fits right under the needle is terrific. You just put the squares together and sew, matching the points to the line and go. It cuts your time in half at least.
    Live each day as if it is your last,
    Tomorrow is promised to no one.

I prefer to cut the triangles & sew them together rather than sewing a square & having to cut. DH helps cut the strips then I use Kay England's "Nifty Notions" half square and quarter square rulers to cut the strips.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I have used almost all methods and even have Trianglulations. Waste of money.
    My favorite way is Eleanor Burns method and her ruler saves so much time, it is a must have ruler.
    Now I can whip out half squares quickly and they are perfect every time.
    By the way the method where you sew around the outer edge of squares leaves you with bias edges.
    Last edited by Rose Marie; 04-28-2012 at 04:57 AM.

I use a straight edge to draw a diagonal onto the square then sew 1/4" either side, later cutting on the line. Don't need any fancy gadgets to do such a simple step.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
    I prefer to cut the triangles & sew them together rather than sewing a square & having to cut. DH helps cut the strips then I use Kay England's "Nifty Notions" half square and quarter square rulers to cut the strips.
    What precautions do you use to not stretch the bias? I'm using blue painters tape a fraction of an inch away for the cutting line on some bias cuts on a "do over".
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Triangulations is the best HST tool on the market. I use mine all the time and get perfect QST and HST. Well worth the price and no bias to worry about!

Blog Entries
    jljack....thank you for the link to that excellent tutorial on making 8 HSTs at a time. I'm sure that I will use it a lot. :-)
    Kathyj

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2