Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quillows made out of flannel? >

quillows made out of flannel?

quillows made out of flannel?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:03 AM

Default quillows made out of flannel?

Trying to think of something to make my great nephews and great nieces for xmas. My sister and I plan on sewing a lot! Thought of a quillow for each of them but not sure if you can make them out of flannel? should the flannel be pre-washed? also we have made them all rag quilts using just two layers of flannel - they were light enough to carry but still warm enough to curl up with while watching tv. can a quillow be made with just the two layers of flannel?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

There is a cute pattern for a Nappy Bag made from plush fabrics in the new winter 2013 Quilts and more magazine. I actually bought the magazine so I would have the pattern. It is a sleeping bag with a pillow attached that folds all up into a backpack. They did it in Dr. Seuss fabrics and it is very cute.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:01 AM

Yes, you can make quillows out of anything. I have used polarfleece on the back, and used flannel on both sides. The difference is how big you make the pillow part if your quillow is lap size. I always made my quillows 2 yards long and 44 or so wide, and made a 18-20 inch square for the pillow part. That was with 3.5 oz batting inside. Isuggest to make the quilt part first, and then fold it up like a pillow and check to see what would be the best size for the pillow for it. Then make the pillow part and sew on the quilt part.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
There is a cute pattern for a Nappy Bag made from plush fabrics in the new winter 2013 Quilts and more magazine. I actually bought the magazine so I would have the pattern. It is a sleeping bag with a pillow attached that folds all up into a backpack. They did it in Dr. Seuss fabrics and it is very cute.
thanks! i am going to have to check this out! maybe my sister already has the magazine!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by mshollysd View Post
Yes, you can make quillows out of anything. I have used polarfleece on the back, and used flannel on both sides. The difference is how big you make the pillow part if your quillow is lap size. I always made my quillows 2 yards long and 44 or so wide, and made a 18-20 inch square for the pillow part. That was with 3.5 oz batting inside. Isuggest to make the quilt part first, and then fold it up like a pillow and check to see what would be the best size for the pillow for it. Then make the pillow part and sew on the quilt part.
Thanks! I am going to try this also! Goodness knows i have enough flannel laying around - lol. two of the little ones are only a couple of months old but they love to lay on blankies on the floor so maybe just making them a small quilt will work. the other ones are 2, 5,6 and 8 so i think we could make theirs quillows.