Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: quilt back

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arcadia, Ca.
    Posts
    388

    quilt back

    I have just finished this quilt top and am going to be sending it out to be quilted. The quilt top is 43" wide by 50" long. The quilter required an extra four inches on all sides. Most fabric is 42-44" wide. Should I buy an extra wide fabric or should I piece it. If I piece it how should I do it? I usually hand quilt my quilts and quilt around my applique. Will an all over quilting pattern look good? Sorry for so many questions

    Janie
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,123
    Blog Entries
    1
    John Flynn explains a neat method for diagonally piecing a wider quilt back from 44" wide fabric. I highly recommend it.

    click here and scroll halfway to "diagonal pieced back".

    http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/workshop/FreeLessons/

    And, coolness! He has an app that will do the math for you! According to his math, you will need 52" of 42" wide fabric to back your quilt IF you piece it diagonally.

    I love apps.
    Last edited by Peckish; 02-27-2012 at 10:48 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Daffy Daphne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    John Flynn explains a neat method for diagonally piecing a wider quilt back from 44" wide fabric. I highly recommend it.
    I used John Flynn's diagonal piecing on a recent baby quilt back and saved almost a whole yard of fabric. It was great, because I had the perfect fabric but not enough of it to do either vertical or horizontal seaming. Wasn't hard to do, either.

    Daffy

  4. #4
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,173
    Blog Entries
    1
    if you do choose to (straight) piece your backing- for long--arm quilting it is recommended that the seam be horizontal-not vertical. this is so the seam can lay flat & even along the take up roller- not build layer upon layer in the center-which happens with vertical seams-causing floppy sides- which on quilts that small are not a huge problem-but you get a better (even) quilt if the seam is horizontal.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  5. #5
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,536
    Blog Entries
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    ...
    And, coolness! He has an app that will do the math for you! ...
    I love apps.
    this is so good to know!!! i've often thought about doing his method, but didn't want to do the math [and i was a math major ]
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?


  6. #6
    Senior Member Handcraftsbyjen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    John Flynn explains a neat method for diagonally piecing a wider quilt back from 44" wide fabric. I highly recommend it.
    click here and scroll halfway to "diagonal pieced back".

    http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/workshop/FreeLessons/

    And, coolness! He has an app that will do the math for you! According to his math, you will need 52" of 42" wide fabric to back your quilt IF you piece it diagonally.

    I love apps.
    Thanks for the link!

  7. #7
    Power Poster dunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Posts
    12,402
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    if you do choose to (straight) piece your backing- for long--arm quilting it is recommended that the seam be horizontal-not vertical. this is so the seam can lay flat & even along the take up roller- not build layer upon layer in the center-which happens with vertical seams-causing floppy sides- which on quilts that small are not a huge problem-but you get a better (even) quilt if the seam is horizontal.
    This is absolutely true. But with such a small quilt, the longarmer can load it either way, so it shouldn't be an issue.

    Daffy - I've wondered about the diagonal piecing method. That's a long seam to be sewn on the bias. Did you have any problem with the fabric stretching?

  8. #8
    Super Member wesing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,715
    We have used the diagonal method twice with excellent results. You should try it on this small quilt and you'll know next time that you can do it. Our quilt is here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t130573.html

    Let us know how it goes.

    Darren

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North of San Antonio in Spring Branch
    Posts
    310
    I'd find a good 60 inch fabric and be done with it. There would not be very much waste at all.

  10. #10
    Senior Member scrapngmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fallbrook
    Posts
    595
    Okay, I read the instructions for the diagonal backing. I don't understand how you sew the pieces together. What am I missing?
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

  11. #11
    Senior Member kat13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    655
    I don't know how to piece a backing but wanted to say I love your quilt!

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bosque County, Texas
    Posts
    3,028
    That is such a cute, precious quilt that I would personally hate to see it quilted in an all over pattern. Why not have the quilter give it as much attention as she would a quilt for an adult's bed? This probably will not be the quilt that is worn out with play, but used on the crib and saved for the child's child and passed on as an heirloom. Few baby quilts are good enough for that but this looks as if it is. Please treat it as such.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-28-2012 at 02:05 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Arcadia, Ca.
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    That is such a cute, precious quilt that I would personally hate to see it quilted in an all over pattern. Why not have the quilter give it as much attention as she would a quilt for an adult's bed? This probably will not be the quilt that is worn out with play, but used on the crib and saved for the child's child and passed on as an heirloom. Few baby quilts are good enough for that but this looks as if it is. Please treat it as such.
    I sort of agree with you about the overall pattern. I hand quilt and I wonder if I just quilt around each item, with a design quilted in the border if that would look alright?

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bosque County, Texas
    Posts
    3,028
    Depending on your batting, you may need some quilting in the white areas of the blocks. Maybe small teddy bears, alphabet blocks, more numbers, or something. Otherwise, I think your idea is superb!
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-28-2012 at 04:12 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Daffy Daphne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Daffy - I've wondered about the diagonal piecing method. That's a long seam to be sewn on the bias. Did you have any problem with the fabric stretching?
    Dunster, no, I didn't. But I used my Acufeed foot to sew the seam. An even feed foot always gives me better results when sewing a long seam, even one that's on grain, and I think you'd definitely want to use it with diagonal piecing.

    Daffy

  16. #16
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,973
    Great thread. Thanks for asking

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    york county, PA
    Posts
    944
    I used his method for a flannel backing that I had pre-washed and then it wasn't enough! Worked beautifully!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.