Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt backing seam >

Quilt backing seam

Quilt backing seam

Old 11-01-2016, 02:33 PM

I used to be a fanatic about it, but then it seemed like I was making quilts for kids or others that knew less about the do's and don't of quilting and they couldn't care. So if I have fabric that is a pain to match up or I feel like being lazy then I just do the one seam.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:54 PM

I'll throw a monkey wrench in here and have no clue of which I am speaking!

What I've seen discussed here - to me - has much to do with longarm quilting wth respect to direction of backing seam. Otherwise, I'm not sure it matters.

I hand quilt and have done seams both ways predicated on how the fabric layed out best. I'm sure there are other DSM quiters who will weigh in.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:07 PM

I don't think it really matters. I've done horizontal, vertical and the offset diagonal John Flynn method. I also use at least a 1/2 inch seam. IF you are going to have it quilted by a Long Arm quilter, you might ask if they have a preference.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:36 PM

I am actually going to hand quilt. My only requirement is that the seam must be pressed open to avoid having to needle through extra bulk. The rationale I have heard for avoiding a center seam is that the quilt is often folded on the seam if it is in the center. The theory is that the seam is the weakest element. Sometimes we have rules that carry on past any logical rationale. There are several ways to store quilts without folding them in the center. Anyone know of another credible reason for the seam not to be centered? The width of the backing for this quilt takes exactly two fabric widths allowing for extra inches on each side. Why would I want to split one width and have two seams instead of one?
Old 11-02-2016, 02:41 AM

I LA and seams don't bother me at all as long as you press open and cut off the selvage. The quilt can be put on the frame in either direction if the LA er prefers the seam going vertical or horizontal. Unless of course there is a directional need for it to be loaded a certain way. Or it's too big.
The top is full of seams. What's one more on the back?
SVAL
Old 11-02-2016, 03:21 AM

Well done seams, either horizontal or vertical do not matter when they are done neatly. They should be 1/2 inch and pressed open and should not be in the center of the back just because of stress on the seam. I always admire quilt backs that incorporate squares and strips and other elements from the quilt front. It creates another element of interest. I do not think it wise to use 'just something ugly from my stash' or something inferior in quality.Backs are part of the overall quilt.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
I don't put it in the middle because I'm anal about how the back looks. LOL!!! I will have the seam offset, of have the widest piece in the middle w/ 2 seams towards the outside...like in 1/3rds.
I'm with you Becca! The backing should be "balanced" also!
Old 11-02-2016, 03:41 AM

There really are no rules in quilting. :-) That's partly why it's so much fun!! I do seams up the center of the back all the time & have had no complaints to date. Have fun with it! :-)
Old 11-02-2016, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It's a no no if it is going to be judged. If not it is up to you. You might enjoy looking through some of the pictures in the thread- Show us your backside. Put the title in the search box.
I did enjoy going through some of the pictures, thanks for the thread info...some great ideas for piecing backs.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:49 AM

I've done different seaming on my backs. I don't feel it matters as my quilts are for use and once I've FMQ, it doesn't even show.