Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt backing seam >

Quilt backing seam

Quilt backing seam

Old 11-02-2016, 05:59 AM

I can't seem to find that thread about quilt backs mentioned. I did a quick search and got 7 pages of unrelated stuff. In an advanced search it said there were no matches. What am I doing wrong? I would love to see it.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:01 AM

Wouldn't you know....I tried one more time in the advanced search and put a parameter of show entire post and found it.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:29 AM

I usually use either spare blocks or strips or squares from the fabrics I use on the front between any back seams. That way they look intentional. But it does create a problem if they are at an oops angle. I don't go in the very center for that reason, they are always off to one side or the other.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:29 AM

*** It works just fine and I have done it many times.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I am actually going to hand quilt. The rationale I have heard for avoiding a center seam is that the quilt is often folded on the seam if it is in the center. The theory is that the seam is the weakest element.
I checked the first quilt I every made (almost 20 years ago). It has a seam up the centre of the back, and it's in fine shape. It's been both used heavily, and frequently folded and unfolded, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want the quilt to last for a hundred years, then it might be worthwhile to split one width so the seams aren't centred, but if it's a quilt that will actually be used, that centre back seam isn't the first thing that will wear out.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:46 AM

If need be, one used to be told to make two seams to avoid the center seam which might compromise the strength of the back seam. However, most of us now have access to wide width fabrics for the back which negates the need for a center back seam. For economy's sake, however, I say do whatever works for you. I don't think we wash our quilts every week, so do what is comfortable, economic, and esthetically pleasing to you.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 AM

When I was informed about back seams, I was told not to have it in the middle due to that's generally how we fold a quilt and over time, that area will break down quicker than placing seams elsewhere. That being said, if I don't have a double sided quilt (which I usually do), I'll have 3 pieces on the back; a wider piece in the middle (whatever the width of the fabric is minus selvages) running down the middle and equal pieces off to the right and left.

I also had a laugh about 'showing your backsides...'
Old 11-02-2016, 08:46 AM

I rarely have a single piece backing. I like to use whatever is left over from the front and add a block or two or maybe a piano strip or just a few 'random' placed pieces. For me, it just makes it a bit more fun.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:09 AM

After seaming, sides or center, I press open and run a stitch down each side 1/4" from seam, for security.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:33 AM

From what I have heard, seaming from top to bottom on the back is a no-no if you are having it long-armed. The quilt gets rolled as it is quilted, and it can form a ridge there. Imagine what happens if you have selvage in that seam and it's not opened!