Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt backings >

quilt backings

quilt backings

Old 08-11-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I would be interested to know what folks are looking for, in terms of backing. We have not gotten into carrying backings... I guess I'm afraid of what on earth we will do with the rems - everybody will be buying 2.5 - 3 yards and then what do we do with the rest?

We do have a supplier who has a wide range of 108" blenders (all-over mottled shades) that are very reasonably price. They're not as wonderful to the touch as Wilmington's GORGEOUS tonal scrolls (which cost a lot more of course).

So... when you all buy backings, do you go for beauty or budget?
For my bed or a wallhanging for me, I'll go for budget. If it's a gift, I'd go for beauty.

For remnants, I've seen them sold as is. But, what if you cut to smaller pieces, FQ's, strips, half yds, etc.?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pickles
My self I buy flat sheets like for your beds to make my backs for my quilts and they work perfect for me..
Pickles
Me too, there are some adorable sheets out there. I wash them a few times, and they are good to go!!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:00 AM

[quote=Favorite Fabrics]I would be interested to know what folks are looking for, in terms of backing. We have not gotten into carrying backings... I guess I'm afraid of what on earth we will do with the rems - everybody will be buying 2.5 - 3 yards and then what do we do with the rest?

We do have a supplier who has a wide range of 108" blenders (all-over mottled shades) that are very reasonably price. They're not as wonderful to the touch as Wilmington's GORGEOUS tonal scrolls (which cost a lot more of course).

I try to go for beauty, but budget really dictates what I can get.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:09 AM

it depends on how much i like the quilt. if i like the way it turned out, i go for the bucks and feel it's worth it. if i don't like it very much, i'll go for something on sale, like joann's paisley in different colors. with a coupon it's $4.98.

i know that's hard for an LQS to compete with. like you, unfortunately, everyone has a bottom line.

i never go online for this, because the shipping brings the price way high. although...... if there was a great sale, i might get several at one time, to bring the shipping to $0.

it's often about money isn't it? i just don't don't always know the least amount i can get away with. quilt sizes change from one to the other.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Every back I have done, I usually wait till the top is done and then measure it. If it is wider that average fabric I know I have to double the yardage to buy. The one I am making for my bed, I will break down and get the 108". My sister can get it from Marshall's. It is VERY reasonable and I will probably get a bolt and be all set for some time.

Next Spring, Sis and I are going to Marshall's in person..........Starting to save up for that now.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
7 yards is just my standard backing amount I buy when fabric is a good price. I use the tube method of making a backing. Unless my quilt is special I use a co ordinating fabric for the two sides and one different fabric for the middle panel for king size. 7 yards gives me enough for the two panels or several middle panels.
is there a price advantage to his method? if the fabric is the same $, then why can't it match on the back?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:26 PM

http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/med...onalpb1103.pdf

can anyone interpret this? it's supposed to be a way to use fabric that's narrower than the width of the quilt, but i don't do math, and i'm also not sure that it actually uses less fabric.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

It can match but sometimes I have a big king size and only 7 yards of fabric for a backing. That's when I use different fabric for the middle or sides.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 PM

:thumbup:
Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 PM

go to frabric .com an look at there fabrics an see if you like any of them