Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Basting Spray >

Quilt Basting Spray

Quilt Basting Spray

Old 12-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Just a quick addition , if you did indeed use too much, change your needle. Even the sprays that say "will not gum up your needle" will get a build up on them if you over spray, this is what attibutes to the thread breakage. The eye and that thin groove that runs the lenght of the needle from the eye, will get "stuff" and the thread will not glide through easily.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 PM

I just started using spray and I love it. I have not had any problems as of yet.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 PM

I haven't used the spray, but am taking notes as I plan to do some actual quilting instead of just piecing in 2011
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 PM

I have had the skipping stitches problem. I do use a lot of vintage sheet fabric, so that may have contributed to the problem. I did a couple things that helped.

I have a Bernina so I have to oil my machine. When I am quilting something that's been spray basted I take the oil, which is clear, and put a drop on a tiny bit of fabric or paper towel or whatever and rub it on the needle. I repeat that once or twice during a lap size quilt. It keeps the little gob of glue from showing up on the needle, so I am sure it is helping.

Also, and I think this is more related to the sheets than the spray, I use a jeans needle for quilting (I think it's 90/12?). It says "Jeans" right on the package.

I still sometimes miss a stitch, but not nearly as often. I do find it interesting that it might be using too much spray- that is very probable. I am a more is better kinda gal and that isn't always a good thing. I will start using less and maybe the whole issue will go away! That would be awesome.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 PM

I actually used spray adhesive tonight on a table topper and it was June Tailor brand. I've used Sulky brand too and have never had any problems with broken thread.

Make sure when you get ready to quilt, that you make any adjustments for your stitches - top and bottom tension adjustment, new needle, larger stitch if needed, make sure the bobbin is wound correctly, and that the machine and thread is loaded correctly. Sounds silly to say that, but thread will snap if it's caught at the top.

My needles have never gummed up with either brand, however I have had to deal with a load of lint and that takes a few minutes to suck out of the machine before anything else can get done. When your thread breaks, check for these and if need be, just rethread the machine again.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:53 PM

I have started using some Sewer's Aid on a little piece of batting that I placed between two thread guides so that the thread glides over it. That seems to be helping. I have certainly learned my lesson. Less is more. I will be so happy when I am finished quilting this project.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:16 AM

The very best spray is Sullivans. I work with a charity that makes quilts. We spray up to 40 quilt tops at a time. We have no problems like you described. Unless you might be spraying toooooo much on your quilt.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:26 AM

Have used both kinds, no problems yet [hope this does not start something]. Did find out that I had to use something underneath the quilt, in case my "aim" was off.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 AM

I use Sulky spray and have not had a problem. I just don't
spray near the edge, just enough to hold the fabric in place

dude
Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 AM

I use Sulky spray and have not had a problem. I just don't
spray near the edge, just enough to hold the fabric in place

dude