Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Batting >

Quilt Batting

Quilt Batting

Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Hi my name is Sarah and my friends and family are working on sewing 84 quilts for a new orphanage in Haiti opening soon. We are doing strip quilts for the top and a solid color on the back. At first we were going to go with a cotton/poly blend thinking we don't want these to be all that warm due to the high heat there. But we have heard that because we are tying to quilts we need to use a poly batting. Any suggestions for brands? We are looking into the Airtex site because we can buy it wholesale and we need a LOT of it. I figured this would be a good place for opinions.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

Maybe use cotton flannel for the batting? It would give some warmth but not as much as batting, and the tie requirements would be minimal. :D:D:D
Old 06-26-2011, 10:54 PM

Hi, Sarah, welcome to the board. You will get some good ideas here.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by sarahbug79
Hi my name is Sarah and my friends and family are working on sewing 84 quilts for a new orphanage in Haiti opening soon. We are doing strip quilts for the top and a solid color on the back. At first we were going to go with a cotton/poly blend thinking we don't want these to be all that warm due to the high heat there. But we have heard that because we are tying to quilts we need to use a poly batting. Any suggestions for brands? We are looking into the Airtex site because we can buy it wholesale and we need a LOT of it. I figured this would be a good place for opinions.
IF U NEED A LOT, WHY NOT GO TO THE DOLLAR STORE AND BUY FLANNEL SHEETS AND U CAN GET LOTS OUT OF A KING SIZE SHEET. JUST A THOUGHT IS ALL. ALSO, MAYB WRITE TO ONE OF THE COMPANIES AND EXPLAIN WHAT U R DOING AND THEY MIGHT DONATE TO U.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by sarahbug79
But we have heard that because we are tying to quilts we need to use a poly batting.
Hi Sarah, and welcome to the board.

If I read this right you are going to be tying these quilts? If this is the case I would agree with others that have said a flannel sheet would work better than poly batting. Poly batting although there are SOME out there that only have to be stitched every 10 inches or so most have to be closer together. which is going to run into much more work for YOU! I would head out and check for flannel sheets that are either at goodwill/ thrift stores or on sale in local store.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Power Poster

cotton batting can be tied too- AND IT BREATHS---POLY DOES NOT

you just have to check the packaging- batts like warm & natural (which can be quilted up to 10" apart) can also be tied...the only batts that do not work for tieing are the ones that need to be quilted every 2-4"- they will pull apart.
there are poly batts that require dense quilting too- so it;s important to read the packaging,
the suggestions to just use a layer of flannel or muslin are good suggestions too- i use muslin when i make quilts for my kids in Florida....they love them
Old 06-27-2011, 01:47 AM

Welcome Sarah!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 AM

I too would use Flannel Sheets.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 AM

Definitely use flannel. Not only is Haiti hot, but it's also a humid climate, and poly doesn't breathe well. Flannel will make your job easier and make the quilts more comfortable--everybody wins! :)
Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM

I get flannel sheets at the good will and thrift stores for a few dollars all the time. They make wonderful lightweight batting.