Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt batting >

Quilt batting

Quilt batting

Old 12-17-2022, 12:11 PM

I purchase Warm and White by the roll and love it. I bounce back and forth between Walmart.com, Joann's online and Amazon. It's worth watching for a while to see how the prices are running. I don't know why the prices aren't consistent. But sometimes Walmart and Amazon are better than J's coupons. They will be down one day and up the next.
Old 12-17-2022, 01:19 PM

What I did was take two old dining room chairs. (The ones with the spindle backs), place them back-to-back with space in between large enough for the roll of batting. Then I used an old shower curtain rod (could use a piece of pvc pipe) to suspend the roll of batting like a roll of toilet paper.
Thanks for sharing. I have broken chairs that will be cold-welded so I will be able to do this. I was wondering how to store them. The chairs will be staying in my sewing room for this exact reason. Cold-weld does not work as well but since no-one will be sitting in them I can keep them for this. It will be better that tossing them out forever.
Old 12-17-2022, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

I lay the roll of batting lengthwise on the longarm's table. From the back of the machine, I pull out enough for the quilt, and cut it right there on the table. I have cutting mats on the table so I can use the rotary cutter, but you could also cut with scissors if you don't have the cutting mats. I purchase batting when I find it on sale so there's always plenty available of different kinds. I store the opened rolls in a guest room closet.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:26 PM

I also buy from Marshall Dry Goods… you have to select the wholesale option to get the batting rolls. I have been using their polyester for 3-4 years. Good quality and no thin spots. Comes in large widths so less waste. They also have various weights… so you can get a 8oz or 6oz for fluffier quilts. Batting has seemed to have gotten thinner and thinner. Mine does come in 2 larger individually wrapped rolls then it is over wrapped with a thick vinyl so it does not get damaged in shipment. But it is machine compressed so when you open it expands a lot. I have checked pricing and even with the cost of shipping it is a lot cheaper per yard than Walmart, Joan’s, hobby lobby etc. plus you get bulk rolls so you always have it on hand. I highly recommend it.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:24 AM

I buy my W&N by the roll and I keep it old desk chair feet/wheels. It was very easy to make! Batting roll on wheels I roll it where I need it and roll it back out of the way when I'm done. The batting comes of easy as you can easily turn it to unwind it. I just measure and cut! I usually keep two rolls going - a Warm and Natural, and a Warm and White. I picked up old desk chairs at yard sales for around 5.00 for one and the other was just a please take it with you! So 5.00 for the both of them.

Popped off the bottom clip with a large screwdriver that holds the feet/wheel section on to the rest of the chair and then disposed of them. Wiped them down to get off the dust, floor dirt, and made sure there wasn't any remaining grease on it from the chair and popped the roll onto it. Easy peasy! and very Convenient. I keep an old sheet over them to keep off the normal household dust between use and have them pushed out of the way in my craft room.