Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt batting >

Quilt batting

Quilt batting

Old 12-17-2022, 03:31 AM

Default Quilt batting

I've been looking at various sites for Warm and Natural Quilt Batting this morning. Well, at least Joann's and Walmart. I would love to buy a bolt/spool of it for quilting this winter, but also want a great price if possible. I know that with coupons Joanns' would be cheaper. Is there another place I should look at for a deal? The large bolt/spool would be wonderful, but my quilting frame doesn't have the extra bar to hold it onto the frame. This means I'll have to wrangle the thing each time I want to cut another piece. At age 70, I don't wrangle so good anymore!
Old 12-17-2022, 03:57 AM

Some do have less on the bolt? Smaller might be the way to go. I sure love having it on hand all the time!!!
Old 12-17-2022, 04:20 AM

I have at least 6 rolls of batting, they are not heavy and I don’t find them unwieldy to use when the time comes. I keep the box it comes in (if I am lucky enough to get one) also keep it wrapped in the massive plastic bag. It is indeed more economical and nice to be able to cut what you need vs packaged batting.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:52 AM

My last big roll that i got from Joanns. It came wrapped in clear plastic. Had tears in it. And was dirty. But it was not dirty from the torn packaging, it was like machine oil on some of the inner layers. From when it was made. I did send a note to Joann's. And i cut off the icky part and saved it to show them. But then I dropped that ball and in a moment of purging/cleaning, tossed it out. Love and learn. Still a good deal. And don't they usually have bolts on sale in Jan??
Old 12-17-2022, 04:58 AM

BattingSuperSale.com is where I get my batting. They have sales all the time on various battings.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I have been using the cotton Pellon that I get on a roll from walmart. In my experience it acts just like Warm and natural and is much cheaper. And walmart on line delivers to my house.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have been using the cotton Pellon that I get on a roll from walmart. In my experience it acts just like Warm and natural and is much cheaper. And walmart on line delivers to my house.
I get my fabric--when I buy-fro, Walmart more often than anywhere else. If they do not have enough in store then I order it online while still in the store. I does come to my home. I've also been looking at their cotton batting and I have it also come to my home. Started buying online when I had to go almost full time into my power chair. Have never regreted it as of yet. I still prefer 100% cotton but have found some of the fabric that I have is almost as warm as quilts with the batting in it. I'm looking into making my street quilts that way.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:55 AM

The large bolt/spool would be wonderful, but my quilting frame doesn't have the extra bar to hold it onto the frame. This means I'll have to wrangle the thing each time I want to cut another piece. At age 70, I don't wrangle so good anymore![/QUOTE]

My long arm is in the basement, the batting is up on the second floor. What I did was take two old dining room chairs. (The ones with the spindle backs), place them back-to-back with space in between large enough for the roll of batting. Then I used an old shower curtain rod (could use a piece of pvc pipe) to suspend the roll of batting like a roll of toilet paper. The I use a bit of leftover wooden trim from my remodeling to use as a straight edge to draw a chalk line with my chalk marker across the batting where I want to cut it (this is easy to keep in place because of the spindles in the chair backs) I measure how much I need with one of those long tape measures being careful not to stretch the batting. As the batting rolls are light, it is easy to take one off the curtain rod and slip on the other one. This works well for me. As the long arm is in the basement on concrete floor, I also devised a sling underneath the long arm using an old sheet and left over selvage edges. I fan fold the batting and toss it into the sling so it stays off the floor while loading the quilt. Low tech all around but works and it all was free!

Last edited by sewingpup; 12-17-2022 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I have been buying my batting rolls from Marshall's Dry Goods. Previously I used Warm and Natural 100% cotton, but it made really heavy quilts... and was expensive. Check out the 80/20 at Marshall's, Linda. It feels identical to the W&N cotton, but is somewhat lighter and much, much more affordable at Marshall's. It shrinks to "crinkle" like the W&N. I like it better than W&N! I pay about $140 per 30 yd. roll for 96" wide. They also offer 108" and 120" wide. You can call and ask for a wholesale salesperson and order. They may send you a sample on request. Or if you pm me I'd be happy to send you a sample.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:59 AM

Since moving to Florida, the 1/4” thick can be too warm. The last I bought is 120” wide and 1/8” thick 100% cotton.
i think it’s from TheQuilt Batting Store.