Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Bearded after Washing >

Quilt Bearded after Washing

Quilt Bearded after Washing

Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Default Quilt Bearded after Washing

I have a quilt which was one of the first I made about 8 years ago and it has been a disaster. Firstly when I washed it, although I had pre-washed the fabrics, the red ran and I had cream in it so this became a pinky colour. It has sat in my cupboard for about 4 years but today I decided to buy some colour run remover and washed it. Some of the colour was removed but now it has bearding all over it. I have tried using a lint roller and that has removed some of it, I have put it in the dryer but there is still a lot of lint left on it. How can I get this off please?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 PM

Yikes. Can you tell what is causing the bearding? Is the quilt made of flannel? Is the batting poking through the quilt?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:39 AM

Have you got one of those battery operated defuzzers that you use on woolen garments that you could use. you could give it a "shave" lol
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 AM

If you can get if off with a lint roller it's lint. Bearding won't come off that way, you have to pull all those threads off by hand or as rebel says, use a good defuzzer. It will beard again over time but not as bad. Some batts leak through some fabrics. Use your quilt and enjoy it. Your 40th quilt will be a learning experience too.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

What kind of batting did you use? Polyester is more likely to beard than cotton. If it's really bearding, you will be able to see the batting fibers poking out of the quilting holes of the fabric.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I am not sure what sort of batting it was but I know it wasn't polyester. I am thinking it was a wool blend and the bits were poking out of the fiber holes. It may have been caused by using hot water as that is what the dye remover said to do. I think it is going to be a long laborious task pulling all the pokey bits out.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by OzShell View Post
Thanks for your replies. I am not sure what sort of batting it was but I know it wasn't polyester. I am thinking it was a wool blend and the bits were poking out of the fiber holes. It may have been caused by using hot water as that is what the dye remover said to do. I think it is going to be a long laborious task pulling all the pokey bits out.
Try a sweather 'defuzzer'....can get at walmart...it works great on sweaters removing all those fuzz balls.