Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Binding Set >

Quilt Binding Set

Quilt Binding Set

Old 09-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Banned

I finally bought one of these gadgets after being impressed at several quilt shows. I also have one for my regular machine but never tried it. Have never used the new one.
They look simple to do when demonstrated at the shows and most likely have their uses in select situations. I was not satified with my bindings until I took the time to figure out what I was doing that caused my dissatisfaction. You not I didn't say "wrong" When I figured it out then they got easier to do. I don't believe the binding tools are worth the money, especially at $244. Having said that.....I have been thinking that they may have their use if doing a lot of quilts to give away....that is after you get comfortable with using it.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by dellareya
I love hand sewing binding down. It is my favorite part.
I just don't care for sewn on binding. Just my preference.
Some of us can't hand sew due to a disability. I wish I could, but I'm glad the machine allows me to make my quilt 100% mine.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM

I have a Janome Horizon 7700 and would definitely be interested.
I found them online at Kens Sewing Center for $149.
I owned a similar attachment for a Janome I no longer own.
I used it a lot. I mostly make baby quilts, charity quilts
And other quilts that are used and washed a lot.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM

I love binding by hand.
If you hate binding b hand why not do the last stage with a fancy embroidery stitch in a contrast or same colour. It is better if you sew binding on the back first bring to front then sew down on the edge gives a very neat finish.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I finally bought one of these gadgets after being impressed at several quilt shows. I also have one for my regular machine but never tried it. Have never used the new one.
They look simple to do when demonstrated at the shows and most likely have their uses in select situations. I was not satified with my bindings until I took the time to figure out what I was doing that caused my dissatisfaction. You not I didn't say "wrong" When I figured it out then they got easier to do. I don't believe the binding tools are worth the money, especially at $244. Having said that.....I have been thinking that they may have their use if doing a lot of quilts to give away....that is after you get comfortable with using it.
i have that same gadget. it works fine on purchased prequilted fabric but I cannot get it to work on anything else. the following year I went back to the show to complain and the woman demo-ing finally admitted it takes a lot of trial and error to get it right. she gave me the "new improved" video but the results are the same
Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 AM

I'd save my money and practice binding. I bind quilts like Dottymo above. My bindings are neat, straight and sturdy. My quilts are used and washed often so machine binding is practical. The only time that I would even consider a hand stitched binding would be for a show quilt and I just don't make that kind of quilt and probably never will. This machine binding tool is probably like the Husqvarna Fabric Mover - a good idea but a waste of money because it just doesn't work right!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by DeMaris View Post
A lady friend here in town usually binds all my quilts for me....I pay here dearly throughout the year to have them done.

I just posted a pictured the other day of my Shirley's Fleece Backed quilt and I made the whole thing from start to finish to include the binding....that is the 4 or 5th quilt I have binded by myself....I still didn't like it at all, however, there was alot of satisfaction knowing that it was done 100% by me and only me.....so I guess there is that too!
Don't mean to be nosey, but wondering what the going rate for binding a quilt is? I help out my LQS owner by binding and get a free class occasionally or some fabric and I once got a quilt top quilted, but I had to pay for thread and batting. I had volunteered to help
out when she needed it, but now wondering if I should ask for payment. It's getting harder to do with arthritis. If you want to pm me that would be ok. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 PM

I have one for my machine. Bought it when I bought the machine. ( ok MY DH bought it for me) but I never went back for the class and now can't figure out how to use it. No it does not make single binding it folds it like a you would normally. Would really like to get it working. I can't find any tutorials on line though.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM

Demaris, you sound a lot like me! I can't hand sew anymore because of pain and tendonitis in hands and fingers, but even when I could hand sew, I stunk at it.

I'm getting very good at machine binding after 5 years. So far, no one I've given a quilt to has complained.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 PM

Me, too, Gramajo!