Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt book dilemma >

Quilt book dilemma

Quilt book dilemma

Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 AM

For the beginner quilter I tough I had then to get the Better Homes and Gardens Quilt book at JoAnns. It is at other places too, but $19 there and you can watch for the 40% or 50% off coupons. It starts you out from basic.
Color , scale, needles r or left hand cutting. It has work pages in the book and it a wonderfullllll beginner book.
When I worked the Viking booth there I ordered them by the dozen and had then in our booth for I sold so many. I always use it for new quilter classes.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 AM

For me, the first book I started with was by Eleanor Burns quilt in a Day. She explains eveything very well and has pictures to show you just how and what to do. She has published many books and most quilt shops or Joann's has some of them. Good Luck and keep on quilting
Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 AM

If you live anywhere close to a library, start there. The newer books will show you rotary cutting and the older ones beautiful quilts using templates. Have fun and also see if you can find a beginner quilting class going on somewhere or a friend that already quilts or YouTube has just as many short clips.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 AM

I have this book, and two others by her. I have used the book many times over and love it! You paid a great price. It retails for close to $30.00. I think you should keep it.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:35 AM
bj

I'm sure it will be a great book to keep for your quilt library. Remember, you won't always be a beginner. Some of the things that may seem confusing now won't be after you get some quilting under your belt. When I first started, everything overwhelmed me, but as I try more things I find I'm developing some sense about a lot of it. Just keep on quilting!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 AM

That's a great price for such a good resource! I'd keep it... I started quilting after picking up a mag called 'Quilt', I still have every issue I bought. Oh yes, you'll have many stashes... fabric, tools, patterns, books, magazines..... and surprizingly, it'll never be 'too much' LOL! You better get a bigger room!