Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt challenge - Should I go for it? >

Quilt challenge - Should I go for it?

Quilt challenge - Should I go for it?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:44 AM

There is going to be a quilt challenge followed by an exhibition and judging for the best quilts in October....first time I've heard of such a competition in Singapore! Although I believe there are not many quilters in Singapore, I'm sure there are good ones out there. The theme of the challenge is strips, where quilters are supposed to put their quilts together using strips eg jelly rolls etc. This sounds simple enough since I could save time in cutting fabrics.

Now I'm contemplating whether to participate. Sounds like fun but I'm worried if my lack of experience or amateurish skills will make me look "silly". Of cos I'm not out to win but just don't want to make a laughingstock of myself among the professional quilts which will be on display.

Should I go for it just for the experience?
Old 05-11-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by vivientan
There is going to be a quilt challenge followed by an exhibition and judging for the best quilts in October....first time I've heard of such a competition in Singapore! Although I believe there are not many quilters in Singapore, I'm sure there are good ones out there. The theme of the challenge is strips, where quilters are supposed to put their quilts together using strips eg jelly rolls etc. This sounds simple enough since I could save time in cutting fabrics.

Now I'm contemplating whether to participate. Sounds like fun but I'm worried if my lack of experience or amateurish skills will make me look "silly". Of cos I'm not out to win but just don't want to make a laughingstock of myself among the professional quilts which will be on display.

Should I go for it just for the experience?
Do it just for the fun of it. You may surprise yourself.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 AM

I think you should try for it.We all have to start somewhere. I am going to submit one this sunnmmer,have been working on it for a few weeks now. Life is to short not to have some fun. We will only learn from it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol:
Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 AM

You absolutely should do it. I always do better when "challenged" a little anyway...maybe you will too! Be sure to post pictures of your strip-tease!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:20 AM

Definitely go for it.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 AM

I never thought I was good enough to win a ribbon but my g/f entered a pillow I made and yes I won a blue ribbon.
go for it and best of luck
Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

I hope you do. Sounds like you want to. Life is too short to worry about what other people think!! :D
Old 05-11-2011, 04:04 AM

As you can tell from this board, there are no "laughing stocks" if you have heart. Enter the show, no matter what your skill level. As you say, there are not many of you in Singapore. Maybe you'll inspire someone else!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Absolutely!!! Go for it!!!

Consider getting it there to be prize enough ... anything beyond that is bonus.

Are you the quilter who did the bargello that posted it in all its stages? if so, it might be a perfect entry!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 AM

You should definitely go for it. What do you have to lose?

What you would gain from it is comments from the judges and who knows, you might even win a ribbon! :thumbup: