Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Quilt Clapper >

The Quilt Clapper

The Quilt Clapper

Old 12-18-2020, 01:15 PM

I also have the Jackson set of clappers. If you chain piece, you will want more than one. They work best if you leave them on the seam until the fabric is cool. So I have 4!
Old 12-18-2020, 04:01 PM

I have been watching Alex Anderson on FB live M-W-F and she uses an old heavy cast Iron, the type that was first used by setting it on a wood stove to heat up. If you like antiques, you could satisfy two quests in one purchase
Old 12-18-2020, 05:06 PM

I just raided my son-in-law's scrap wood pile and picked out a piece of 2x4 that I use for a clapper.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:12 PM

Just wanted to say that if you don't want to have to purchase a new notion, you can use a stack of magazines instead. I always have magazines laying around and use them in stacks of 4-5 at a time. This is especially helpful if you're ironing multiple units or a long seam so you can flatten the entire seam with multiple stacks of magazines instead of having to have multiple clappers
Old 12-18-2020, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

A bacon press, flat iron, or anything heavy will work it you leave if on the fabric until cool. The wood clapper works much faster though. You clap in on the seam and leave it for about 30 seconds. Tailors didn't have time to wait, so they always used a wood clapper. I use the wool pad and clapper. My seams can't get any flatter. LOL
Old 12-18-2020, 05:48 PM

One of my guy quilter friends is also a woodworker and made them for the whole group last year. He also sells them I think for $40. He says you need to use maple wood but he layers a darker wood in the center for looks. I think it does help flatten the seams, but I must admit I don’t use it consistently. Some seams need more help than others. 😁
Old 12-18-2020, 06:06 PM

When I read the title I thought it was like......clap on, clap off, the clapper. I thought someone had finally made a sewing machine that would sew by itself once you clapped it on. Lol. 👏
Old 12-18-2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
When I read the title I thought it was like......clap on, clap off, the clapper. I thought someone had finally made a sewing machine that would sew by itself once you clapped it on. Lol. 👏
Rofl. Too funny. (I thought the same thing!). 😲
Old 12-18-2020, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 View Post
Oh crap. Another notion to consider buying, hiding from husband, rediscovering it while tidying up. I think right now will pass. However I do have a pressing mat and just love it. Use it with my little craft iron and spray bottle. My trinity of pressing notions.
LOL. You are so funny Julienm.

I have a pressing mat that is awesome but.... I wonder if it is worth using both a wool pressing mat AND a clapper? I've always wanted a nice, complete set from Jackson, for sewing clothes and quilting. So I wonder.....
Old 12-18-2020, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
I have been watching Alex Anderson on FB live M-W-F and she uses an old heavy cast Iron, the type that was first used by setting it on a wood stove to heat up. If you like antiques, you could satisfy two quests in one purchase
This is what I use...I collected antique irons for many years and have a ton of them. They work great!