Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt curtain! >

Quilt curtain!

Quilt curtain!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:49 AM

I like Arizona Sunrise's idea of the tabs. I would use a light lowloft poly batting (for the insulation quality) and a backing.

Another idea for the top would be --that's if you don't mind making holes in your "quilt" -- use those large gommets that are all the rag in window treatments. That would slide well over your rod.

Another thought: what would be wrong with making it the same size as the door.? Who doesn't like seeing a beautiful quilt hanging on the wall?Good luck. Happy quilting. :lol:
Old 03-01-2009, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
k3n wrote:
..... DH says when I've made the curtain he'll FINALLY make a cupboard to hide all that electricity gubbins you can see...

this has been a looong, but most interesting/helpful thread k! don't have any suggestions for ya, thinking you have jogged me to do something bout my drafts too!
just have to tell you, love the way you talk too, lol...is 'gubbins' a french word or a 'k' word? lol!!! :wink:
...smart girl to not take anything away from hubby. Makes them much more eager to help again in future. My hubby thinks he came up with lion's share of ideas 'round here...uh huh. :D
Gubbins is not a French word (that I'm aware of). Of course, I speak Cajun French not Parisian French. Cajun French is a dialect combining French from different areas.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 AM

No, not a French word, see here:
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_b...sages/227.html
Old 03-01-2009, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Katrine
Thank you, K. Never a day goes by that I don't learn something new. This was very interesting.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 PM

I have roman shades made with a product called warm winter that is a batting covered in cloth and quilted in channels. I don't know if you would want something like that or not, but I bought it at JoAnn's Fabrics.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM

I have a king size quilt that we use as a curtain on the doorwall from our bedroom to our deck. I don't imagine the window in your door is very large. I would make the quilted curtain more than 1 width of the window...1.5 to 2 times wider would be better. If you can, I would recommend that you use plain white backing if the back of the quilt will face outside as any other color will fade where the sun hits it...it also looks better from outside. Check at a home supply store or hardware for a curtain rod and curtain rings with spring clamps on them. If those are not available, you could always sew white plastic rings onto the quilt/curtain for hanging. Good luck with your project. Be sure to post photos when you are finished.
Wendy
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM

Hi, Just thought, if not to late, I'd let you know that you can make a quilted curtain for over your door. I have them over the windows in our house. I used sheets to match on the inside and a plan one on the outside with ¼" fiber fill inside. I tied the units and either used cafe clips or made grommet holes and used shower rings to attach to a rod. The first time I made them, I used a pattern for Roman Shades. Sorry, I can't find it now. Hope this may help!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Hi mamajan, welcome from Washington state. I looked for you in Introduce yourself but you are'nt there.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:04 AM

Here in the states, we have a product called Warm windows. you could make your quilt top and use it for the backing. Thats what it's made for. I have made them for my windows.They work really well. They also keep the heat out in the summer on those very hot days.they have a web site. www.warmcompany.com I never thought of using them for my doors, but like the idea. Susan
Old 03-08-2009, 05:10 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thank you all for your ideas!

I've decided to make the quilt one and a half times wider than the opening; I'll use a very thin batting and an extra wide cream backing that I've seen online which has a tone on tone print so it is a little bit more interesting than a plain but shouldn't fade in the sun; DH and i have been looking at curtain tracks and have found a rail with a groove on the underside with rings that run along, then some hefty metal hooks in wide curtain tape on the back of the quilt - this should hold the weight, no problem; whether I gather the tape or not, we'll see when it's done, try it ungathered first as izy suggested! as they say in france 'au fur et à mésure'! :wink:

I'll definitely make a tie back and if I've got enough fabric, i like the idea of a valance. This would work even though i plan to hang the curtain outside the recess as there is a cross beam in the ceiling a couple of inches in front of where the curtain will hang!

i also just love the idea of a mini quilt for the catflap, (butterflywing! :D ) and even though i won't make the quilt fitted to the door because i want to pull it right back in daytime, I might make a mini curtain for Barney's door just for fun!

It may take a while as I'm currently researching a new sewing machine (hooray!) so will wait til I get it to start on the curtain. I've already designed a pattern though (ohio stars alternate with three strip blocks in three colours - dark red, navy and old gold) and yes, I've already bought the fabrics! :wink:

Will keep you posted, thanks again for all your help!

K x