Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt curtain! >

Quilt curtain!

Quilt curtain!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 PM

Flannel also makes a good batting.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:50 PM

I haven't read the answers to your question, so I may be repeating what someone else has written. I made a shower curtain quilt. Top and backing only, with round buttonholes for the shower curtain rings. Lightweight shower liner to keep it from getting wet. I imagine something similar would work for your door - depending on what you use to hang it. You'll want to quilt it together to keep the blocks from drooping. I get lots of compliments - I'd post a picture, but it's in CT, and I'm in AZ.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 PM

Great idea. I've been planning on making a quilt for a small window that lets in cold and gets the afternoon late morning and afternoon sun and gets very hot in the summer. I also have a door with a gap--not my house--that lets in cold in the winter. I never thought about a quilt there--so thank you for this thread.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 PM

If you want the quilt to appear like drapery pleats put small sleeves on the back about the size of a tab and space them three to six inches apart and when you push them to the side the area of the quilt that hasn't a sleeve pushes forward and it appears to be a pleat. For a lighter weight I'd use flannel and no batting.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:15 AM

My mom has whole cloth quilts as her closet doors in the bedroom.
She purchased them and took them in and had large grommtts put in them and then put them on a pretty rod. I'll see if I can get pictures when we get down to visit next.
This is how they hang:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=15939222

When we lived at Tahoe we had window coverings that had a light batting. We had single pane drafty windows-brrrr. I would think a cover over the door would save heating like the window blankets did.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:28 AM

How about hanging on the wall leaving the opening area for the door behind the quilt. The wee animal could find a way around the quilt without you having to move it and the area between the quilt and the door would serve as a sort of air lock.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

k3n wrote:
..... DH says when I've made the curtain he'll FINALLY make a cupboard to hide all that electricity gubbins you can see...

this has been a looong, but most interesting/helpful thread k! don't have any suggestions for ya, thinking you have jogged me to do something bout my drafts too!
just have to tell you, love the way you talk too, lol...is 'gubbins' a french word or a 'k' word? lol!!! :wink:
...smart girl to not take anything away from hubby. Makes them much more eager to help again in future. My hubby thinks he came up with lion's share of ideas 'round here...uh huh. :D
Old 02-28-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
K...Great idea, just looking at your pictures, instead of trying to hand the quilt right up again the door and glass, why don't you consider hanging it outside of the door recess :wink:

Then the cat will have a space to get in easily too :D

Just had another thought...if you sew a row of curtain tape to the top like regular curtains, but use a pole with wooden rings you will get a nice drape if you wangt some fullness in it.
another thought....you can hang the quilt FROM the door by attaching small wooden cleats first. using a spring-bar, the quilt can hang straight down to more cleats and another spring bar. leave a cut out in the corner with it's own teeny quilt for your puss.

does the wind come in only through the door or through all the windows as well?

can you do a large bi-fold door with quilted panes? they do that on windows in milan (no quilts, just shutters). again you could leave a small opening for chubby. or just hang his little drape.
if id doesn't hang well, you can do what someone here suggested - hang the unhinged corner with hook and eye overnight. the shutter could have weather-stripping on all the panel bottoms. i envision 3 or 4 so they don't bunch up when opened.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:45 AM

I think it would work great, however you would need to put something very hefty inside to help with the draft..Maybe even that silver stuff we make hot pads with? Expensive, but very effective. There is something out there that is especially made for drafty windows..can't remember the name of it, so not much help there! Good Luck! hapytlk
Old 02-28-2009, 10:47 AM

I haven't read everyone’s ideas but my thought is to make your quilt curtain and get a shower tension rod and line the quilt with a shower curtain and hang them together using a liner of fabric or a sheet for the backing with the plastic between Q. and backing. You can make tie backs to hold your curtain when you need it open. Hope this makes sense to you. It’s hard to get a clear idea of your problem from the picture, but maybe this will give you some idea Good luck
Carol