Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt curtain! >

Quilt curtain!

Quilt curtain!

Old 02-27-2009, 06:54 AM

Alright K--I just found this thread and of course, I want to throw my own 2 cents worth in (maybe 2 Euros worth?)

When I looked at the picture of your door I envisioned your quilt hanging close to the door (like Butterflywing said) to keep out as much draft as possible.

If I was making this quilt I would put a hinged rod on the alcove wall on the right side of the door (the wall on the kitty door side). Then I would make the quilt the length and width of the door wall-ceiling to floor--2 sided. At night you can swing the rod around and it will cover the door-your cat is certainly smart enough to nose around the side and find his door. During the day you can swing the rod open and will have the back side of the quilt hanging against the wall (a pretty for guests to enjoy as they come and go). If the rod will extend too far out the wall because the door is wider than the wall, then you can get a rod that is telescoping and can make it a little shorter during the day. If you are worried about the weight of the quilt then you can put hooks on the walls at the non-hinge end of the rod for support. Your quilt can then have a rod pocket on the back, can hang from clips, etc-how ever you wish to hang it from the rod.

This is just another idea for you to toss around in your head. If you need a rod they sell them at Bed, Bath and Beyond and I would be more than happy to mail you one......
Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 AM

I have a friend who is a long arm quilter and she took one of those Japanese folding screens and put quilts in each panel and uses it to hide her machine and frame. It also serves as a way to keep the wind that comes in her front door from coming into the room she works in. I don't know it that helps but she just made quilts that fit the panels and put sleeves top and bottom. Seems to work for her. I believe she used a lightweight batting. I would think maybe a lightweight cotton batting would be warmer or let less breeze through than a polyester which is more loosely woven.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
JS

I have seen curtain rods made out of metal that swing out toward you when mounted. They are decorative and come in many colors.You could mount one on each side of the door and just pull them together at night and pull them toward you all the way against the wall in the daytime .They come in different sizes. They kind of remind you of plant hangers, but much nicer.A tab quilt could be placed on each one and therefore, not have much weight on one rod. Also I have a feeling it might complament the decor depending what material you use. I have seen them at big windows where people like to open the curtains to showcase the window so to speak and let in light and view.Some people use them for tall windows when they don't know what to do about curtain size. They hang them close to the ceiling and let them fall to the floor. Truly lovely. Worth a thought.
Jean
Old 02-27-2009, 09:03 AM

Check out this website:
http://countrylife.lehmans.com/2007/...window-quilts/

Good information! Lots of other great blog posts as well!

Good luck!

Sara
Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM

I've done Roman Shades, quilted and with reflective batting - Never again! I would use a slightly different method - the closet/shower rods that have rubber ends to adjust width, and far enough forward that the cat can stick nose under and scoot in and out at will. They fit as close to ceilings as your moldings will allow, and provide a portable airlock area, if you use a sleeve rather than tabs.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:03 AM

do the drafts come in everywhere or just where the glass is?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 AM

How about using regular flannel cloth for the batting. It is thinner than batting. I use it all the time for table runners and placemats. The finished product is not as heavy or as bulky as if you used batting.

judyjo
Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 AM

I have actually seen quilted curtains in catalogs. You might do a search on the internet for quilted curtains, just to get some ideas. I know I get Country Curtains catalog, it might have been in there.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
I wanted to make a curtain to pull across our front door in winter at night. It's single glazed and really drafty. We do have wooden shutters on the outside but we don't close them completely because of the cat door - Barney Boy has to be able to get in or out or he'll start yellin' at 3am!

I was looking at curtain fabric this weekend with DH but didn't really like anything I saw - all too boring! I said to DH this is probably because I make quilts and can't stand to see something made of only one fabric! :D So he suggested making a 'quilt' to use as a curtain; I think it could work if I used a really lightweight batting. Has anyone done anything like this? If so I'd love to hear how you made it, would you do it the width of the opening or one and a half times, like with a normal curtain, so you get some pleats when it hangs? And how would you attach it to the curtain rod
I'd be grateful for any thoughts or opinions; I think I'll go ahead and do it even if you all say it won't work, because now I've got a bee in my bonnet!! But maybe ypou've got tips or ideas to share? Anyhow, if it doesn't work I can always use it as a quilt! :wink:

K x
This post brought back a memory I had forgotten. In the 1960's we lived in an older home that had old metal windows, single pane IN PA. The winters get bad and the house was so cold. There was a window that was particularly bad. We didnt have much money and although I made the children's clothes, I had never pieced or quilted.

I went through my scraps and found I had a lot of greens, blues, and purples. Ignorance is bliss. The fabrics were cotton, cordouroy, velvet, wool lol. I pieced them together in simple squares, lined it with some flannel and put a cotton backing on them. I sewed tab tops and hung from a rod. To this day, I think they may have been one of the prettiest things I ever made. The squares matched perfectly(not sure how I did that) cut with scissors and a yardstick. I just stitched in the ditch. I dont think there was anyone who came to visit that saw them that didnt remark on the "beautiful drapes" lol. I used what I had, bits andpieces , poor equipment. Dont know it that helps you or not.

Margie

Old 02-27-2009, 10:56 AM

when we bought our last house, ca. 1865, it had the swinging drapery holders mentioned above. they were used on the windows and glass doors between rooms. the whole house was freezing with drafts. i wish i had thought of quilted curtains. even regular lined drapes made a big difference although the drafts still chilled our delicate footsies and swirled all around the floors. also, when my dh climbed the ladder to change bulbs, he said it was about 10 degrees warmer up there. so multi-layers will be nice and cozy if you keep them close..

p.s. when we sold that house, thank g*d, we took the drapery swings with us. they now hold bird feeders that swing out of the way. i know you can buy them again at repro stores.