Quilt curtain! >

Quilt curtain!

Quilt curtain!

Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Izy

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

drafts. well i wouldn't worry about making it with light weight batting. you want a bit of heaviness to it. i would make it to fit straight across, no bunching up at all. make it a bit larger than the door and hang it on a dowel rod above the door and curtain rod. or remove the regular curtain and rod at night so the quilt will fit flush against the door at night.
good idea. it can be done and should help. just a pain to put it up every night. good luck.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 PM

i think weight is on your side. it seems that you would want it to hang as close as possible to the door (like double glazed windows) as you can and still let the cat in and out. i would even put weighted chain the bottom for that purpose. during the day, or in warm weather, swag it back to a decorative hook. and i would hang it high, to keep out as much draft as possible. remember that heat rises (you don't want to lose that) and cold falls (right around your feet). i would hang it smack against the wall with a quilt hanger, pinch or dowel type, no gathers to create tunnels for the air to move around in.

your only concern will be outside light coming through the glass. it may fade the quilt and the batting and backing will not protect it.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i think weight is on your side. it seems that you would want it to hang as close as possible to the door (like double glazed windows) as you can and still let the cat in and out. i would even put weighted chain the bottom for that purpose. during the day, or in warm weather, swag it back to a decorative hook. and i would hang it high, to keep out as much draft as possible. remember that heat rises (you don't want to lose that) and cold falls (right around your feet). i would hang it smack against the wall with a quilt hanger, pinch or dowel type, no gathers to create tunnels for the air to move around in.

your only concern will be outside light coming through the glass. it may fade the quilt and the batting and backing will not protect it.
A tie back is a great idea! I was concerned about fading because that door faces south and there's no room to pull it right back behind the wall; But hey ho! It's being made to be used - by the time dog, cat and kids with sticky, dirty fingers have been at it - well it'll just have that 'lived in look'! :D

k x
Old 02-27-2009, 06:15 AM

Bon Jour K3n,
I use a quilt curtain in our home in Ohio as a 'warm wall' provider, only I cover the windows on a former sunporch now used as a guest room.
I hung it on a black wrought iron decorative curtain rod using shower curtain clips so it can be easily slid open or closed. Every few months I turn it 90 degrees to shift the weight on the fibers. It works great and our guests are intrigued with the concept. I think a pretty quilt over your door would be a wonderful decorative accent. Unfortunately we are traveling at this point in time, or I would send you a picture.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:18 AM

You could mount it at the ceiling and cover the door up an down as a Roman Shade. I would not use the regular quilt batting, find some insulated drapery lining and then stitch in the ditch for quilting. It should work really well and gives me some great ideas for my own house. (They make houses to keep the heat out in Texas so the winters are very drafty.)
Old 02-27-2009, 06:35 AM

When I saw your door I thought maybe you could pull the curtain to the other small window instead of the 6 inches on the other side of the door. It might stay out of the way better. Also, I realize you have a pet door there but maybe the quilt wouldn't come all the way to the floor. You could make a matching dor thingy to catch the drafts at the bottom of the door.

Another suggest is getting one of those swinging rods that you can just swing it out of the way. Make the back side as pretty as the front and enjoy a different quilt in the day time!.. I will be interested to see what you come up with.

Good luck!!!

Sharon from Maine
Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 AM

A neighbor of mine had a drafty patio door. She used pre-quilted material and an old sheet to make a door curtain. She didn't make it the size you would a regular curtain, but it did overlap the door about 3 inches to seal out the draft. She made it long enough to reach the floor and hung it on the curtain rod she hangs her summer sheer curtains on. Be sure the rod will be sturdy enough to hold the material. They didn't use the door in the winter time as you probably would. Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 AM

Hi it's SanDee here1 a suggestion for your quilt curtain, I really like the tabs. they are easy to make and since they don't have to be too close together they pull aside easily. so your quilt curtain would look almost pleated when pulled aside. Good Luck looking for ward to seeing how it turns out!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 AM

Those are all such great suggestions!!!

I've wanted to put curtains on my windows, but I've yet to find ones that I truly like.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for your door!!