Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt in a day >

Quilt in a day

Quilt in a day

Old 03-20-2016, 12:07 AM

Watched her videos and picked up the habit of throwing fabric over my shoulder.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:00 AM

I have made several of the the quilts from her books over the years-starting in the 70's. I enjoyed her TV series and was sad when they disappeared from PBS (at least in our area). I enjoyed her approach because it consisted of methods that new quilters could identify with. I met her on a couple of occasions and enjoyed her friendly banter with people around. Just fun.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I am grateful that so many quilters have been added to the world thru EB's work. But personally I am not a fan.
Jan,
Makes perfect sense to me that you might not be a fan. You are a very smart lady, and are probably self taught for the most part, but some of us are learning challenged, and she teaches us at our level. (I came to quilting after a brain injury). Isn't wonderful that quilting can be done by anyone, of any ability? All of us are thankful for all the generous quilt teachers here and everywhere, I count you among them. You have always had good comments on my posts. Thank you for your generosity. Hugs
(steps off soapbox)
Old 03-20-2016, 03:34 AM

I made my first quilt after watching her teach a quilt-in-a-day log cabin on television. It went together easily, quickly and I was hooked!!! I've also done her trip around the world several times as it works up beautifully and quickly.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:09 AM

I went to a weekend retreat in the mid-80's, It was very organized, all meals were prepared, things were situated so you could sew all night if you wanted to do so. Very innovative for those days. Since then, I've seen her a couple of times and she really combines showmanship with teaching. I have done several of her patterns. Her method makes quilting a pleasure. I'm not into cutting 1" squares and stitching them together or anything like that, so Eleanor's system works great for me. I have not done the patterns you mentioned.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:16 AM

The first quilt I made was EB's log cabin quilt, which was, what? 35 years ago or more? Back then, we ripped our fabrics from selvedge to selvedge. I made a purple log cabin for my bed, then a baby quilt for a friend in India. I still have that book, & also her Trip Around the World -- I made that one in king size on my mother's Featherweight & swore I would never make another king-sized quilt (I quilted it on that machine, too). I have other EB books as well. I did a Pineapple, & that may be from her book, too.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:14 AM

I love her quilt patterns and have most of her books, however I am not a fan of her videos. I have a lot of respect for the lady though. Her life story is interesting.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:39 AM

I love her applique method using interfacing and turning the 2 pieces -- I use it for all medium and large size appliques and have found the method time-savings and easy with good looking resuilts
Old 03-20-2016, 05:53 AM

I've got a collection of her videos and books. One of my favorite quilts I've made is the double pinwheel. It's on my bucket list to be at one of her shows in person. If I ever get the opportunity, I'll be in the front row. She just amazes me how she makes quilting so doable.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
The first quilt I made was EB's log cabin quilt, which was, what? 35 years ago or more? Back then, we ripped our fabrics from selvedge to selvedge. I made a purple log cabin for my bed, then a baby quilt for a friend in India. I still have that book, & also her Trip Around the World -- I made that one in king size on my mother's Featherweight & swore I would never make another king-sized quilt (I quilted it on that machine, too). I have other EB books as well. I did a Pineapple, & that may be from her book, too.

Me, too! Made mine in autumn colors and fabric from JoAnn's. It's been used for about everything throughout the years including laying on the grass in the summertime. And we still use it!!! And I still love it. Found I couldn't really make it in one day but I did make it in two . So much for having to have the best fabric, thread, etc.so it will last. It was my first quilt. Yeah Eleanor and thank you!