Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt in a day >
  • Quilt in a day

• Quilt in a day

Old 03-20-2016, 03:29 PM

I enjoy watching her but what I want more than being in the audience is to be sitting on the floor behind her and gathering up everything she "gets rid of" for my scrappy quilts.
    Old 03-20-2016, 04:09 PM

I also started out watching Eleanor Burns. I made her Lover's Knot as one of my very first quilts. She can't explain the process any easier than she does. I used to love her show, although I haven't seen anything from her in years.
    Old 03-20-2016, 06:40 PM

My husband does not like to hear talk; she reminds him, logically, of a kindergarten teacher, but I surely have learned lots from her.
    Old 03-21-2016, 03:42 AM

Love love love EB, I watch her Youtube and Vimeo channels. I most like her TV series as they not only show the techniques but tell you a bit of history around them, it's so nice. My first real quilt was a "Garden Lattice" lap-quilt from her you tube vide. I am currently working on a "Grandmother's Garden"quilt, I have the book and watch the series in parallel. I love the baskets with the appliqued flowers. Also working on the strip tulip quilt from the same series, unfortunately this is not in the book. I have learned so much and she makes even the most difficult block easy.
    Old 03-21-2016, 03:50 AM

....watched another of her videos last evening....a preview ( I guess) of a new book from her coming out in April. Quilts from El's Attic, I think that's the title....looks good......better to watch her than that basketball stuff and repeats on tv.....I'll probably check it out tonite again...
    Old 03-21-2016, 03:52 AM

I opened an e-mail this morning from "Quilt In A day Newsletter" and they are having a sale of 50% off Freight Damaged Books and Patterns by Eleanor Burns and there is also a 40% off jelly rolls.
    Old 03-21-2016, 04:47 AM

I love that one she does with the adolescent girl--I think it's called Candy Cane Lane. Calls for 4" wof strips--twelve of them, I believe. Kind of a very simple bargello. Great to use up some strips for a charity quilt. my DH can't stand her voice, but I always find her amusing.
    Old 03-21-2016, 04:58 AM

I took my first-ever quilting class at the QIAD shop in San Marcos, CA. Up until then I guess I thought quilts were made by elves, or something, lol. The instructor (not EB of course) was grouchy and impatient with my almost total ignorance, unfortunately, and needless to say I did not finish my quilt--a very simple crib-sized Single Irish Chain--in a day. I did go home with EB's Irish Chain book, though, and managed to not only finish my first quilt on my own but rapidly progress to Double Irish Chains with her very clear instructions. So I always credit EB with getting me started, even though I'm mostly self-taught.
    Old 03-21-2016, 05:20 AM

I learned to quilt by watching Eleanor Burns,Georgia Bonesteel and Sharlene Jorgenson on PBS.
    Sharon in Texas
    Old 03-21-2016, 05:40 AM

In my sewing room I play EB videos while I sew.
    They play one after the other in the background and I just sit and listen.
    I do the same with Bonnie Hunter.

As far as EB books, my quilting group is currently doing a BOM using EB's "Underground Railroad" book. It's a very fun project and I'm learning some new skills.

I did notice that a few of EB's techniques seem to be more difficult or time consuming than the simple ways I've learned from others, but for the most part she is very easy to understand.

Our next block will be that drunkard's patch and I've never done curved seams before. Pray for me! LOL