Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt in a Day >

Quilt in a Day

Quilt in a Day

Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I love Eleanor Burns. I made a quilt from one of her books and while it took longer than a day, it was so clear and went together like a dream. I couldn't do anything in a day because I can't stay focused that long! Sew a seam, take a break, sew another seam, check email, sew a seam, get a snack, and so it goes! I use her techniques on other things I do and they are really good.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:01 PM

Some of the Eleanor Burns patterns CAN be pieced in a day -- the top only, of course.
Pre-cut and ORGANIZE fabrics. Have lunch catered, and turn off the phone! Good luck!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Don't time yourself, just enjoy yourself.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

I have done this but think Bonnie Hunts pattern is much easier. I have done both and did the Bonnie Hunt pattern several times. I did the QD pattern at Quilt in a Day.

http://www.quiltville.com/delmts.shtml

It is free and online
Oh if you do the later pattern press all the seams of the mountains open if you plan to bud mountains up like they show on the cover quilt picture.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
The Quilt in a Day came from Eleanor's original way to do log cabin blocks by chain sewing them. You can make a lot of blocks very fast and do a quilt very quickly...although not sure if it would be in a day!!
This is what I was told and it would be for cutting and piecing a smaller top more then the whole actual quilt. Many of the quilts are very do able and incorperate easy techniques that you can use again to design your own quilts.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:10 PM

I've learned many, many techniques from Eleanor Burns. I don't think I've actually made any of her quilt patterns, but I've used her techniques and have made many quilt tops in a day. Of course, it's best if you don't have any interuptions, but it can be done. Also, this doesn't include quilting, but since most of my quilts are lap size I could probably do the quilting as well, but that would make an awefully long day and only basic quilting.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:12 PM

I also just watched her new online Strip-Tease video and she said that "Quilt In A Day" is the name of the company, not that you could actually make and quilt a quilt in a day. She said it was her disclaimer, lol!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:47 PM

I have done several of Eleanor Burns quilt in a day. Remember a day is 24 hours long. LOL Yes, I have done Delectable Mtns and if you follow her instructions and go slow it is quite doable. I also made the minature one in the back for a wallhanging and love it. Go for it girl.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:10 PM

We had Eleanor's sister Pat Knoechel at our guild meeting last night. She brought all the new patterns (Barns!!) and lots of new tips and tricks for cutting and sewing fast blocks. We just love having her come...we are her last stop before she goes home after traveling for 6 months. Imagine...she started coming to Bakersfield 28 years ago when Quilt in a Day started up, and she's still visiting us once a year. I took my mom to see Pat's show, and mom loved it!! We bought a couple of patterns. We had so much fun watching Pat.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM

I have seen this Eleanor B quilt done in batiks and it was fantastic!!! Take your time and have fun with the project! :)