Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Design Software >

Quilt Design Software

Quilt Design Software

Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 AM

Default Quilt Design Software

I have been looking at EQ7 and Jenny Haskins Perfect Quilt and find both seem to be very good.
I am quite a "newbie" to the quilting business but have managed to accumulate quite a stash. So my main object is to be able to scan in my materials and design a basic block with them. I also have quite a few Jelly Rolls and would like to be able to use these in a creative (maybe) manner.
So I am hoping you very learned people may be able to set me in the right direction so as to get value for my hard earned buck. :-)
I have been reading and learning from the forums on this site, so know that there are some very experienced quilters on here who would be able to advise me.
To those who reply, many thanks for any assistance/opinions
Old 11-20-2011, 05:47 PM

I have EQ6 and EQ7. EQ7 is easier to use than 6, but it is still somewhat difficult. I think, in my case, it's because I haven't had the time to sit down and concentrate on learning. If you're able to give it some time, I think EQ7 would probably work for you. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 PM

I just had to have EQ7 so bit the bullet and bought it. I have a horrible habit of thinking I can figure things out on my own and then I get discouraged when I can't get a program to do something. If I'd take the time to sit down and go through the tutorials, and the instruction bookl, I'd probably love the program. With winter being here, and not being able to get out on the Harley as much, maybe I'll learn it.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Was also hoping that there might be someone out there who has used Jenny Haskins Perfect Quilt.
I purchased the very minor version, but not sure I am completely happy with what it does, still a bit hesitant to pay out the dollars for it.
I have seen some blocks made by a lady on here who does lots of incredible tutorials, sadly I can't remember her name, and she was using the EQ7
Again thanks for your replies.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:19 AM

I haven't come across the Jenny Haskins program. There's also Quiltpro - does anyone use that? I had an earlier version, but it won't work with windows 7 so have been wondering whether to buy a new copy or switch to EQ7.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 PM

I use Quilt Pro and have for many years. I bought my first version used, off ebay and have upgraded each time they released a new version. It is very easy to learn if you sit down with the book and go through it step by step. There is also a yahoo support group and a support forum on Quilt Pro's web-site. Also, it can be downloaded and you'll be up & running immediately. The have several other products that can "plug-in" to Quilt Pro. They have been doing a free block design every day for years and a free quilt design every month if you're a pattern junkie like me.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 PM

I use EQ7 and love it. I had to spend some time getting to know the program though--going through the lessons in the book before it started to come more naturally. I have scanned my fabric into the program, and must say it is a rush to design using the actual fabric in my stash--but I have to keep up with scanning each time I get something new--which can be a pain a times. I haven't heard of the other software, so can't help you there.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning View Post
I use Quilt Pro and have for many years. I bought my first version used, off ebay and have upgraded each time they released a new version. It is very easy to learn if you sit down with the book and go through it step by step. There is also a yahoo support group and a support forum on Quilt Pro's web-site. Also, it can be downloaded and you'll be up & running immediately. The have several other products that can "plug-in" to Quilt Pro. They have been doing a free block design every day for years and a free quilt design every month if you're a pattern junkie like me.
Thanks for this. Someone gave me a demo of the latest edition of Quiltpro recently, and I was quite impressed. I struggled with versions 4 and 5 - there seemed to be quite a lot of bugs, and I also think I just didn't use it often enough to retain what I'd learned about it, but v6 seems to work more smoothly and be more intuitive. The lady who gave me the demo designs quilts professionally, and she finds the program quite adequate - she's very computer-savvy and has EQ7 as well, but actually prefers Quiltpro.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:17 AM

Thank you all for your information.
Have looked at QuiltPro6 and it seems pretty user friendly, also lots of easy access to the forum and it appears they answer the questions very quickly. They do have 30 day trial, but it appears you have to pay the full price, but you don't activate the program until the 30 day trial is up and if you don't like it you can apply for a refund. Not sure about this system. :-)
Looking at Jenny Haskins, it doens't appear that they have had many updates.
I have ordered a smaller version of EQ to have a play around with, so will go from there.
Again, thank you all
Old 11-22-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jennja View Post
I have ordered a smaller version of EQ to have a play around with, so will go from there.
Again, thank you all
Let us know how you get on!