Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt for dining room table? >

Quilt for dining room table?

Quilt for dining room table?

Old 02-11-2016, 11:51 AM

I made a table topper for my mom's round dining table and we just placed the glass cover on it to protect it.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:30 PM

Default Tablecloth Quilt

Good Afternoon. I've not made a quilt for a tablecloth. However, I did make a quilt top to be tacked to the ceiling for a ceiling quilt. I did not back my top at that time. When I moved, I decided the ceiling quilt was too pretty to put in a box, out of sight. Instead I am using it as a bedspread; I will sew a lightweight backing to it once my machine is unpacked from moving. If you have in mind to make a tablecloth quilt you might want to leave out the batting; I think it would make the quilt too heavy and bulky for a table dressing. If I made what you are suggesting, I would use a lightweight dark or light-colored fabric for the backing. Have a wonderful day and enjoy it. God loves you and may His blessings include a safe journey through your quilting!
Old 02-11-2016, 03:22 PM

I have a round dining room table and use my square quilts on it all the time. Love how it looks and it does drape nicely and if they get spilled on I wash them. Sometimes they just need to be touched up with a damp cloth. Have to add this: my dining room table has 4 quilts that I use on it and my bed still does not have a quilt I have made. NOT one!!! What can I say.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:47 PM

Several years ago, I had a sit down dinner party for 25 wine drinking adults. I had 5 tables all dressed with reversible quilts...one side Christmas/winter and the reverse was in fall colors. Each had warm and natural batting. There were a few food spots and wine dribbles but none of the wine glasses was tippy (however there were a couple guests that were a bit tipsy). All traces of wine and food washed out without a problem. One of the quilts is 10 feet long and since Florida has had a "chilly" spell, I am using it on my side of our king sized bed. My husband has used one that is about 90 inches long on his side. Like gramquilter2, I never seem to get around to making one for my whole bed. I liked the quilts on the tables so much that I have just taken them off and put them in the laundry room. That made us have 2 months of Christmas/winter on the tables and a couple weeks on the bed. I'm hoping that decorating in spring colors will warm the weather just a little.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 PM

Years ago I made a twin size double wedding ring quilt and I have used it ever since as a table cloth in the spring time because of the colors. We never use the quilt when we are eating but I love the effect. I have made table runners for the other seasons but I will probably end up making more table cloths. I have queen and king size beds and I can make a smaller quilt and still use it.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:25 PM

I totally second the ideal of using Scotch Guard after you make your Tablecloth quilt. I've been making runner & place mat sets for years. As soon as they are finished, they are sprayed, and last for years without any stains. They are washed often, and still stay as nice as the day they were made. I give these as well, and always let the person know to use them without worry!
Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 AM

I want to make a quilt for my table. Table is round. Do I complete the piecing and quilting then cut into required round size before I bind? Table also becomes long oval when table leaf is added. Would a rectangle quilt work for that?
Old 02-12-2016, 05:13 AM

I made a snowball scrappy for a picnic/car/incidental type of quilt and have ended up using it a lot on my dining table. It just happened to fit well and when there is more than the two of us, it's kind of fun. Stains and spills aren't a problem since it's washable and yes, there is batting in it. A nice feature is that it's reversible! I put a backing of red handkerchief type of fabric on the back and that works too.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:01 AM

I made a small log cabin many years ago that I still use. It has flannel as the batting. It is well used and gives me joy!
Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 AM

Love your chicken table cloth !! Would gladly pay for directions . I'm not good at the computer ,is there to pintrest or somehow mark this so I can find it again. Truly lovely.