Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Gift Ideas >

Quilt Gift Ideas

Quilt Gift Ideas

Old 11-19-2023, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

One of the things that has annoyed me (way beyond annoyed - but that language is not allowed here) about the potlucks I have gone to - the people that put a mountain of food on their plate - and then discard it -

And if one is one of the last tables to get in line - one is lucky if there is pickle juice left and scrapings from the casserole dishes.

I see no reason to take more than a dab of food that one is unsure of - and to not take any if one is sure one is not going to eat it.

Old 11-20-2023, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Run out of food at a potluck? Not in the south. I've never been to a potluck where there wasn't a lot of food left over. People are begging others to take as much as they wanted home. People scrape the food in the bin to get their pot washed to take home. A small casserole is rarely seen, it is two lasagna dishes full of it. And you never ever not return a potluck dish to the rightful owner. You will always be the person who kept Mildred's dish. LOL
Old 11-20-2023, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I think it is more about spending a fun time with the girls than what you bring. I would perhaps but a set of assorted cotton threads in a nice box and call it good.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Run out of food at a potluck? Not in the south. I've never been to a potluck where there wasn't a lot of food left over. People are begging others to take as much as they wanted home. People scrape the food in the bin to get their pot washed to take home. A small casserole is rarely seen, it is two lasagna dishes full of it. And you never ever not return a potluck dish to the rightful owner. You will always be the person who kept Mildred's dish. LOL
We went to three or four Park potlucks - and decided that if we were the last table called, we may as well go somewhere else to eat. The pickings were slim if you were sitting at the last table called. There were a few people that would bring something like a small can of baked beans - not doctored up - eat two large plates of food - and take two plates home "for later" - all before everyone had a chance at one round at the table.

However, if it was a group of friends getting together, there usually was more than enough food and people were willing to share leftovers.
Old 11-20-2023, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I don't know what a park potluck is. I am assuming food in a park setting like a community event?
Old 11-20-2023, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't know what a park potluck is. I am assuming food in a park setting like a community event?
We go to an RV Park every winter.

A "park potluck" is when a potluck or "dinner" is scheduled to be held in the recreation hall. People are supposed to sign up ahead of time. Once in a while, the past owners would do something like provide ham or turkey for Christmas or Thanksgiving, and then the attendees were expected to bring the rest of the food.

So, the residents bring something to the meal - and the people are seated at tables - each table is assigned a number -
then a drawing is held to see which table goes first, second, etc.

Once in a while there are leftovers, but all the "good stuff" is usually gone by the time that the second of eight to ten tables has had the chance to get in line.