Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt gloves

Quilt gloves

I have just started learning to machine quilt. I haven't bought gloves yet. What gloves do you use?

Power Poster
    Machingers are my favourite gloves. I still haven't worn out my first pair and it's been over 3 years. I do wash them when they start to look a little dirty. I put some dish soap in my hands while I am wearing them and "wash" my hands/gloves. I hang them to dry. Machingers let you grip the sandwich to move it but have a nice weave that keeps your hands cool and not sweaty.

Blog Entries
    I've misplaced my machingers! Darn it, I need them now!!

I use garden gloves Need new ones!
    Name:  gloves (576 x 432).jpg
Views: 416
Size:  68.6 KB
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    If you ride a horse the white gloves for grooming. Some of my friends used the exfolia gloves or garden gloves from cheap shops. I can't wear gloves because my hands get to hot. I use the the stripes of matting that stop objects sliding in cars or anywhere under my hands. I am looking at other ideas as well. Ie the finger things.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    I tried gardening gloves which worked ok, but machingers fit my hand better
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    I love the Machinger's gloves. They fit me better and aren't as hot as some of the gloves I've tried. I never quilt without them!

Quote Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
    I love the Machinger's gloves. They fit me better and aren't as hot as some of the gloves I've tried. I never quilt without them!
    Ditto! Garden gloves were too hot. I even use my Machingers when I am sewing lengths of fabrics together (e.g. backings, borders). There is less stress on my hands while feeding the fabric through the machine and I can "move" the fabric to keep the edges together.

I don't often do machine quilting. On the odd occasion I do, I use the garden gloves. For the little machine quilting I do it's not worth investing in specific quilting gloves to me.

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Machinagers allow my hands to breath. Use them as I hand sew...binding or applique. Love them..still trying to figure out how the rubberized tip of fingers get dirty..do "wash my hands" with them on...keep a supply on hand when quilting for show! Lol good luck. Lots of tips for you !
    Sometimes you just have to sit in a chair and jog in order to get anywhere.
    Ell

I use Machingers because garden gloves were too hot for me. I just started using SORTKWIK on just my fingers because a friend always uses it and I really like it!! It's the fingertp moistener that you use in offices to handle paper or in banks when you are counting a lot of paper money. You can buy it at office supply stores. It leaves no residue on your quilt and my hands don't sweat!!
    Gloria 

Finger cots work for me!
    Just on 2 or 3 fingers of each hand.

I have a couple pairs of disposable gloves from my dentist that I am going to try when I next FMQ.

I've tried the machingers and other types of gloves to find they are too bulky and warm for my liking.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bought the yellow ones from JoAnn's - I think they might be Fons & Porter. Little rubber dots all over them. I do like using gloves for FMQ because the fabric makes your hands so dry that they slide all over the place and don't guide well.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    I was lucky enough to get a good set of quilting gloves on sale. Before that, I just used gardening gloves that have the rubber grippers on the palms and fingers because I wasn't going to spend a fortune and they work just as well.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    I vote for Machingers- they fit, they work, and they are cool.

I like the Machingers...and use them most of the time...except in the summer when it is too hot to have them on my hands. Then I use finger "cots" on a couple of fingers on each hand.

I tried all the cheap alternatives first, including finger cots, but ended up liking Machingers the best.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Thin knit ones from Fons and Porter. They are just right for me.

Blog Entries
    I just got these and love them , I like my finger tips out of the gloves so I can feel and get pins out easily.http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...l/8779.MED.htm I had Fon's and Porters gloves but they kept coming off of my thumbs.

Machingers! So much more comfortable than garden gloves, fit my hands better, aren't too warm. They're not at all expensive, especially with a coupon.

I use the Fon's and Porters yellow gloves (the blue ones were too tight) and love them, think and not hot. Use your 50% coupon and they are only around $4....Garding gloves do work for are too hot. In the winter I also use cheap stretchy knited gloves that I get at Wallgreens.

I use the Fons & Porter's gloves also but I cut the tips off the thumbs and pointer finger - makes it easier to pick up threads etc.

I don't care for the gloves as I always need to take them off to do something else. I like the "handles" that come in two sizes - with those I don't have to grip as hard so it saves my hands.

Machingers when I quilt, one on each hand. When I piece/strip piece etc, one on left hand only, helps with sliding fabric pieces to line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Anael View Post
    I use garden gloves Need new ones!
    Name:  gloves (576 x 432).jpg
Views: 416
Size:  68.6 KB
    These are what I use, too. I can get a better fit than the machingers. I get the ones that breathe on top -- they grip really well.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast