Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Guards >

Quilt Guards

Quilt Guards

Old 09-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Default Quilt Guards

I've always thought of the "white glove ladies" at quilt shows as protectors of the quilts.

I know that they are necessary - I would like to do some bare-handed touching of the displayed quilts - and I would suspect others would like to do so, too.

I wonder how grubby a quilt would get if it were touched by a thousand bare hands - even if every one of them had been freshly washed?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:45 PM

It isn't only dirt that would be a problem. Retail has a term "shop worn" for item that look old and shabby from being handled.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:15 PM

I agree with Penny. The point is to reduce stress on the fibers. If you really would love to touch the quilts, why not volunteer to be a quilt turner & don the white gloves yourself?

But beyond that, the quilt probably would get grubby. I've seen news articles in places like Time about how dirty the money in our pocketbooks is -- covered in grime, germs & residue from illicit drugs. So icky! Same thing with those airplane blankets. Ew! My skin is crawling just thinking about those things.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:12 PM

Having done the job it is not only stopping people touching the quilts but to stop children eating chocolate or similar sweets with sticky fingers touching. And which I think is worse stopping people walking round from eating their sandwiches as they look. Also walking between quilts and their back pack or clothes being dragged past the quilts.

it appears a very unnecessary job as we are all from the quilting community but it is amazing the lack of respect some people show to the quilts.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:43 PM

I love doing white glove duty at our local quilt show. You really get a real close look at all the gorgeous quilts and you get to hear all the comments people make, it's a real fun day
Old 09-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Same thing with those airplane blankets. Ew! My skin is crawling just thinking about those things.
The blankets I have gotten are sealed in a plastic bag. ?
Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

I was always pleased to find my quilts when displayed at large shows and fairs behind where no one could touch.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

I really have no problem with the gloves. I figure, I have touched so many quilts in my life, I know how they feel. One woman was repeatedly told (even though she had gloves on) not to get so close to the quilts. They ended up asking her to leave. She had so much makeup on she got it on a 'Judge's Choice". It was a light neutral. We know how hard make up is to get out of most things. This was right after the exhibit opened first hour of the first day. The quilter was in tears. If one cannot look at a quilt from 18"-24" at minimum, then they really should get glasses.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM

I don't get the touching thing, it is really a visual art, not a tactile one. We all know what quilts feel like. They are not fur coats.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:14 AM

I believe the ones who want to touch are children and those who aren't quiltmakers. I fully understand the "no touching" rule,can you imagine how the quilt would look if at a big show everyone who came along wanted to run their hands down the quilt surface? Shudder!