Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: quilt guild etiquette

quilt guild etiquette

I joined a quilt guild and was wondering what is the etiquette for bringing your own quilts to show off in show and tell? Should you wait until you have been a member for a while or can you do it on your 2nd meeting? I have 2 quilts that haven't been delivered yet and I was thinking I could take them to the meeting Monday while I still have them. Also since one of the reasons I joined was to help grow my business shouldn't I be taking something to every meeting?
    Vicki
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-10-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: remove advertising

Take them to ANY meeting. Show and Tell is for everyone whenever they want to show something. We love theshow and tell part of our program every month. Gives us lots of new ideas and a chance to admire the work of others!

Unless your guild has published "rules," I'd say it's up to you. From a personal viewpoint, though, I hesitate to show quilts I've quilted for someone else. I'll gladly share anything I've made myself, but not something made by another quilter. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done - it's just that I'm not comfortable doing so. I would suggest that if you do take quilts that you've quilted, you should get permission from the quilt maker to show it, particularly if they live in the area. They may not want the rest of the world to see their finished project before they do!

Thanks for that insight, these are actually quilts that were pieced by me not someone else. I agree I would need their permission to show their quilts.

I belong to 2 guilds and we don't have any rules about Show & Tell. We all just love to see whatever members bring. Certainly take your quilts.

Blog Entries
    Of course you should show them!
    Wendy

If you are new to the guild, showing you quilts will let everyone know, that you really want to be a member by taking part in one of their activities. Its a great way to "break the ice" and be part of the group. Show and tell in our guild is one of the highlights of the meeting, and gives each member a chance to speak and gives everyone else a chance to get to know who she is through her quilting.

Blog Entries
    Yes, bring them. It is a great way to start conversations and meet the guild members. My first show and tell was great. After the S&T anyone who was interested in looking closer at the quilt and ask questions and v-v was really cool. A great way to see how others work and learn new tips and techniques. Best is the friends you make along the way.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I agree, if it's YOUR quilt, bring it to the meeting, whether it's your 1st meeting or the 50th. We're always happy to see quilts, even from visitors, maybe especially from visitors.

However I agree with EIQuilter that the quilts you've quilted for others shouldn't be taken to guild meetings. (And I realize this isn't what you were asking about, but her comment got me thinking along those lines.) For one thing, those quilts probably aren't finished (bound) yet, so they won't show to their best advantage. Even if you get the owner's permission, it creates problems. Other quilters may hesitate to bring their quilts to you, thinking that you will be carting them around to guild meetings before returning them, or that there will be hurt feelings if you ask for permission to show them and they say no. Best to keep it entirely professional.

I totally agree with dunster and EIQuilter about never showing quilts that you've quilted for others, for pay or not. I 'fired' my first longarmer because, without asking permission, she posted photos of my original design quilt on her website in a gallery titled 'quilts I have done'. I was furious. If it's your own personal quilt, go for it!
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    yes show your quilts!!!
    QUILTNMO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I agree, if it's YOUR quilt, bring it to the meeting, whether it's your 1st meeting or the 50th. We're always happy to see quilts, even from visitors, maybe especially from visitors.

However I agree with EIQuilter that the quilts you've quilted for others shouldn't be taken to guild meetings. (And I realize this isn't what you were asking about, but her comment got me thinking along those lines.) For one thing, those quilts probably aren't finished (bound) yet, so they won't show to their best advantage. Even if you get the owner's permission, it creates problems. Other quilters may hesitate to bring their quilts to you, thinking that you will be carting them around to guild meetings before returning them, or that there will be hurt feelings if you ask for permission to show them and they say no. Best to keep it entirely professional.
    good thoughts, dunster. this is the way i feel also. and what if something should happen to the quilt while it's being carted around?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Yes, take your quilt top the way it is. Completed as a quilt, or just the quilt top itself. In my group of quilters, there is alot of ladies that take just the quilt top. Everyone still enjoys what there are looking at.

After reading some of the other responses, I realized I misinterpreted the situation - I'm sorry 'bout that! When you said the quilts hadn't been delivered yet and you were trying to grow your business, I jumped to the conclusion they were quilts that had been made for others.

By all means, show your quilts at guild as often as you can. We have some who show them before they're completely finished simply because they know they will be finished and given to their new owner before the next meeting. Some people have brought just tops, others have the unbound quilt, and some show their partially finished quilt that they're binding during the meeting!

Blog Entries
    Show and tell is one of my varorite parts of the meetings. I'd say BRING IT! Those oohs and aaaahs make you feel real good.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Esp bring them when you are visiting for the first time. What a great ice breaker! Esp if one is introverted. People will engage you in conversation.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Also, go easy on building your business through show and tell. I know someone who has been quite pushy and has stepped on the toes of other longer armers who are part of our guild. You might also want to talk to someone you trust. My guild sometimes seems to have invisible rules.

Quote Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
    I belong to 2 guilds and we don't have any rules about Show & Tell. We all just love to see whatever members bring. Certainly take your quilts.
    Yup, we quilters just LOVE to see what everyone else is working on, or finished. At my old guild you could bring in quilt tops that still needed to be sandwiched and quilted also. Then bring the same top back after the quilt was done.

hope you enjoy your new quild!
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang View Post
    Take them to ANY meeting. Show and Tell is for everyone whenever they want to show something. We love theshow and tell part of our program every month. Gives us lots of new ideas and a chance to admire the work of others!
    My quilt guild nick-named this part of the meeting " drag and brag".

I notice at our guild when show and tell is done, they mention who did the long arm quilting on it. I agree that if you are the long-armer, I would not take customer quilts to show and tell. Ask them if they do show and tell, to mention your name because you want to drum up business.
    Carol in Michigan

Some very good points about the show and tell. I know with our guild if someone has had a member quilt a quilt they mention who when they show the quilt. One way you can get more practice and help the Guild is if they do donation quilts offer to quilt X amount as your donation to the guild. Then maybe both the person that pieced and the quilter could show the items jointly. We have had some do that also. This is also a way to let others know you are available to quilt but that you also want to help the guild and are not there only to grow your business.

yel
    Blog Entries
    ??have you ever sen another quilter say no to looking at a quilt ??? i think NOT

I attended a guild meeting for the first time last week. the lady that invited me told me to bring in show and tell items. I did not bring any to that meeting. I felt as a first time visitor, that may not be accepted too well, and i was not sure if tops were allowed. I have a nice top that will be quilted when I return to MI. Some guilds specify only finished work to show.

When I got there, they all asked me where my show item was, and that tops were allowed because many are snowbirds and take them back north to quilt. A finished quilt takes up too much space in airline luggage.

Tomorrow is my 2nd meeting and I will take something. I am nervious to show my quilt to people I dont know really well yet.
    Jean in MI

Take them to the meeting. When new members join our guild I love to see some of their quilts. It will help people remember who you are and it's nice to see what kind of quilting you are doing.

Kat

Thanks all! I have a quilt loaded up and ready to go to the meeting tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast