Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt guild question. >

quilt guild question.

quilt guild question.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Just show up......they'll let you know what is expected. Our guild loves guests.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I belong to 3 guilds and all welcome new members. However some guilds do limit their membership, based on many factors - space in the meeting place, specific areas of interest, professional vs. amateur status, desire not to grow, etc. All are legitimate reasons IMHO. Before I joined the last guild, a couple of weeks ago, I checked with a member to see if they were accepting new members, and before I knew it I had been invited to their annual new member orientation, which just happened to be on the next meeting night, so things worked out really well. The guild you're interested in may have a web page that explains their policy, or if not then you might be able to ask a member. Otherwise, I would just show up and ask at the door whether the guild is accepting new members.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM

A friend and I just showed of at the guild I'm in. You can go to two "free" meetings and then you are expected to pay your yearly fee and join.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 PM

Our guild always welcomes new members, and it never occurred to me that a quilt guild wouldn't. That said, sometimes we do come close to having to restrict new members because fire regulations limit the number of people who are permitted to be in the room at one time. It hasn't happened yet, though. I agree with dunster: see if you can contact someone in advance via a webpage, and if not, just show up and inquire at the door. Our group is very informal; nothing is "required" of members, everything is voluntary. But of course, there are bound to be as many different types of guilds as there are flavors of ice cream, so you just have to see if the atmosphere and ideas of the group are something you would enjoy being a part of. Good luck and have fun! I hope you find a room full of new "sisters", like I did!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Usually a group of quilters will form a group and call it a guild and they make the rules how they want their group to be. There is no set guild guidelines to be called a guild. I belong to a four guilds. One is very community minded. One is more for learning and holding workshops, one limits the amount of members, one is free for any one who wants to show up and several of us are forming a new group that will be for going on retreats only. I like them all and each one has pros and cons. To get to your question, all of the guilds I'm in, a newbie just shows up and says here I am.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:12 PM

If the guild has a web site, check it out. That might answer your questions. Our guild is open to anyone, and we don't require advance notice of a visit by someone new. If membership is limited in this guild, though, that information should be on the web site.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:17 PM

My guild (I just resigned as president... my term was up) greets visitors warmly, and is a warm, friendly group, but we are capped at 50 members. We will willingly put someone on a waiting list, and we do have people come and go thru out the year due to family situations and jobs. I agree with most of the posters... just show up, and hope for a good outcome. If you do have contact info, I probably would do that, just because I am a bit OCD about things... Good luck!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Most areas large enough to have a guild are also large enough to have a local quilt store nearby. Ask the shop if they know the guild's regulations; it's possible some of their teachers are guild members and could take you as a guest. I've been a member of eight different guilds in different states over the years and every one of them welcomed guests.

Jan in VA
Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 PM

The local guild has an announcement in the paper every month of where their meeting will be and says everyone is welcome. My aunt moved to a rather large area and called about their guild. She was told she could not attend a single meeting without first paying a full year's dues. Needless to say, she didn't join.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 PM

You would be welcome to just show up at my local guild. There is a membership desk near the door where members sign in and visitors are greeted. They give newcomers information and introduce them to the group. They also take ask them if they are interested in connecting with the various small groups that meet outside of the main guild meeting and put them in touch with people in those groups. I joined but they didn't push me. It's only $25 per year. Some meetings there is a $3 guest fee if it is a national speaker that they paid.