Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Quilt Hanger Question

  1. #1
    Junior Member MommyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    113

    Quilt Hanger Question

    A good non-quilter friend asked me to find her a quilt hanger to go with a small quilt she bought for a gift. My problem is that all the hangers I can find are not the right size, are more expensive than the quilt or are too fancy. The quilt she bought was a quilted panel of a pickup truck and dog. It's for a 9 year old's bedroom. The quilt is 18 1/4" wide and the quilt tabs on the back are 14"in width. Are there invisible hangers? To hang my Christmas quilts, I sometimes use the Command tabs with a small dowel rod. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear from you.

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,586
    Probably the easiest thing is to hand sew a long pocket for hanging on the back of the quilt, big enough that am adjustable curtain rod can go through. Then you just need to mount the ends of the curtain rod on the wall, which can be removed. I don't put hangers on my quilts myself but sometimes shows require them so I make them easy on/easy off! typically I'll use an invisible or matching thread just sewn with large stitches in the ditch below the top binding, then hand tack down the bottom row without going through to the front of the quilt.

    Something like this:
    https://www.target.com/p/drapery-rod...3/-/A-17357197

  3. #3
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,799
    Have a look through www.ackfeldwire.com and see if something from them would work.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,586
    Ah, contacts are in and I can see the world and posts in much better clarity

    For 18" and hidden you can still use lightweight drapery hardware like you would use to hang a small set of sheers and a wooden dowel. Everything would be readily available at your local hardware store. Tip: When cutting wooden dowels wrap a piece of tape around the area you are cutting and cut through it, that will reduce splinters and the chance of splitting the dowel.

    For a non-hidden industrial look, you can have the dowel extend and use picture hanging wire twisted up at the ends and simply hung on a nail.

    I have a friend who found some "day of the week" red work squares and simply hung them on wire coat hangers using some small clothespins she got somewhere, it was really cute. I've seen the small clothespins sold at party stores and used for hanging Christmas cards or other decorations on a string.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    2,265
    Some here.

    https://www.summerskycreations.com/

    Love the demo.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbKGEf2brDU

    One of my favorites. I used one to hang a quilt I made for DH. Easy to install.

    http://hangitdangit-com.3dcartstores...ucts_c_13.html

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by MommyA View Post
    A good non-quilter friend asked me to find her a quilt hanger to go with a small quilt she bought for a gift. My problem is that all the hangers I can find are not the right size, are more expensive than the quilt or are too fancy. The quilt she bought was a quilted panel of a pickup truck and dog. It's for a 9 year old's bedroom. The quilt is 18 1/4" wide and the quilt tabs on the back are 14"in width. Are there invisible hangers? To hang my Christmas quilts, I sometimes use the Command tabs with a small dowel rod. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear from you.
    I put a sleeve on the back of mine that goes a couple of inches from each end. Use a small white PVC pipe through the sleeve. Drill a hole on each end of the pipe that a small nail will go through. Inexpensive way to hang a quilt.

  7. #7
    Senior Member janjanq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Grass Lake, MI and Bradenton, FL
    Posts
    738
    Blog Entries
    2
    You may want to check out the Hangups Company.http://Hangupscompany.com

  8. #8
    Junior Member TAMARATJO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    156
    I really like these quilt hangers from Amazon. They come in a couple of sizes, and wood finishes.

    https://www.amazon.com/Ash-Quilt-Hang-Ups/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_fr_web_4925403011?ie=UTF8&node=4925403011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Ash+Quilt+Hang-Ups

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Have a look through www.ackfeldwire.com and see if something from them would work.
    What a great selection! Thank you for the link.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    442
    There is a company that makes a magnetic bar that sticks to the wall with command tape strips and then you put a metal curtain rod in the sleeve of the wall hanging to hold the quilt to the magnet (I've seen it at the quilt shows) … it is awesome!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toms River, NJ
    Posts
    22
    I read somewhere about cup hooks and large safety pins to hang a wall hanging, tried it and it worked, just have to adjust safety pins so they don't bunch fabric
    Last edited by BarbaraQ; 09-15-2018 at 07:00 AM.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    2,265
    Quote Originally Posted by stillvnu View Post
    There is a company that makes a magnetic bar that sticks to the wall with command tape strips and then you put a metal curtain rod in the sleeve of the wall hanging to hold the quilt to the magnet (I've seen it at the quilt shows) … it is awesome!
    Still,

    The link I posted as "demo" is for that product in case you are looking for one too. It does looks nice and sturdy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.