Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Hanger Question >

Quilt Hanger Question

Quilt Hanger Question

Old 09-12-2018, 08:25 AM

Default Quilt Hanger Question

A good non-quilter friend asked me to find her a quilt hanger to go with a small quilt she bought for a gift. My problem is that all the hangers I can find are not the right size, are more expensive than the quilt or are too fancy. The quilt she bought was a quilted panel of a pickup truck and dog. It's for a 9 year old's bedroom. The quilt is 18 1/4" wide and the quilt tabs on the back are 14"in width. Are there invisible hangers? To hang my Christmas quilts, I sometimes use the Command tabs with a small dowel rod. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear from you.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Probably the easiest thing is to hand sew a long pocket for hanging on the back of the quilt, big enough that am adjustable curtain rod can go through. Then you just need to mount the ends of the curtain rod on the wall, which can be removed. I don't put hangers on my quilts myself but sometimes shows require them so I make them easy on/easy off! typically I'll use an invisible or matching thread just sewn with large stitches in the ditch below the top binding, then hand tack down the bottom row without going through to the front of the quilt.

Something like this:
https://www.target.com/p/drapery-rod...3/-/A-17357197
Old 09-12-2018, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Have a look through www.ackfeldwire.com and see if something from them would work.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Ah, contacts are in and I can see the world and posts in much better clarity

For 18" and hidden you can still use lightweight drapery hardware like you would use to hang a small set of sheers and a wooden dowel. Everything would be readily available at your local hardware store. Tip: When cutting wooden dowels wrap a piece of tape around the area you are cutting and cut through it, that will reduce splinters and the chance of splitting the dowel.

For a non-hidden industrial look, you can have the dowel extend and use picture hanging wire twisted up at the ends and simply hung on a nail.

I have a friend who found some "day of the week" red work squares and simply hung them on wire coat hangers using some small clothespins she got somewhere, it was really cute. I've seen the small clothespins sold at party stores and used for hanging Christmas cards or other decorations on a string.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:07 PM

Some here.

https://www.summerskycreations.com/

Love the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbKGEf2brDU

One of my favorites. I used one to hang a quilt I made for DH. Easy to install.

http://hangitdangit-com.3dcartstores...ucts_c_13.html
Old 09-14-2018, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by MommyA View Post
A good non-quilter friend asked me to find her a quilt hanger to go with a small quilt she bought for a gift. My problem is that all the hangers I can find are not the right size, are more expensive than the quilt or are too fancy. The quilt she bought was a quilted panel of a pickup truck and dog. It's for a 9 year old's bedroom. The quilt is 18 1/4" wide and the quilt tabs on the back are 14"in width. Are there invisible hangers? To hang my Christmas quilts, I sometimes use the Command tabs with a small dowel rod. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear from you.
I put a sleeve on the back of mine that goes a couple of inches from each end. Use a small white PVC pipe through the sleeve. Drill a hole on each end of the pipe that a small nail will go through. Inexpensive way to hang a quilt.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:40 AM

You may want to check out the Hangups Company.http://Hangupscompany.com
Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 AM

I really like these quilt hangers from Amazon. They come in a couple of sizes, and wood finishes.

https://www.amazon.com/Ash-Quilt-Hang-Ups/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_fr_web_4925403011?ie=UTF8&node=4925403011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Ash+Quilt+Hang-Ups
Old 09-14-2018, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Have a look through www.ackfeldwire.com and see if something from them would work.
What a great selection! Thank you for the link.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:04 AM

There is a company that makes a magnetic bar that sticks to the wall with command tape strips and then you put a metal curtain rod in the sleeve of the wall hanging to hold the quilt to the magnet (I've seen it at the quilt shows) … it is awesome!