Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt as I go? >

quilt as I go?

quilt as I go?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 AM

Im a beginner and was wondering the easiest was to quilt? Should I quilt each block after I sew it or quilt after I finish the quilt? I only have a domestic machine so I thought it might be better to quilt smaller pieces and then sew them together at the end. Please help with any feed back .
Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 AM

It all depends on what you'd like to learn. Some people start out hand quilting, some tie, some machine a simple stitch (like stitch in the ditch or straight lines), some make a top and have someone else quilt it and a few people do the quilt as you go.

I have a domestic machine but rarely use it to quilt....I only piece on it. Do whatever works for you. I'd start with a table runner or something small like a crib quilt just to be sure you have the hang of it before tackling a larger project---but that's just me.

There are a lot of resources between the forum, youtube & blogs for online advice. If you choose the quilt as you go method, be sure to check out your local library for some reference books. Georgia Bonesteel books are of that method and have been out long enough that libraries generally have them.

Best Wishes!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:30 AM

there is a type of quilt that you do quilt as you go. After you are done with each block, you then sew them together. I know of someone who was doing this - historical pattern, but I don't know the name of it.

I will see if I can find some examples.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:35 AM

There is great information here. Go to the search button (on top) and put in quilt as you go. you will find lots there to help you out. I am trying it myself with the backing one inch all around the top piece. I agree with retrogirl02
Do something small at first. There are some great videos out there.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 AM

you might practice machine quilting on smaller ' utility' pieces before you work on a quilt, in case, like me;.... you don't enjoy the machine quilting part. plus you can get used to how you need to move tha fabric, how fast the machine needs to go.... etc. I tied my first few quilts,the patterns were geared more to that style. Good Luck & don't forget, ... what ever way you choose , you will get better as you progress.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by retrogirl02
It all depends on what you'd like to learn. Some people start out hand quilting, some tie, some machine a simple stitch (like stitch in the ditch or straight lines), some make a top and have someone else quilt it and a few people do the quilt as you go.

I have a domestic machine but rarely use it to quilt....I only piece on it. Do whatever works for you. I'd start with a table runner or something small like a crib quilt just to be sure you have the hang of it before tackling a larger project---but that's just me.

There are a lot of resources between the forum, youtube & blogs for online advice. If you choose the quilt as you go method, be sure to check out your local library for some reference books. Georgia Bonesteel books are of that method and have been out long enough that libraries generally have them.

Best Wishes!
I agree, only I'd make 2 table runners . One using each technique and see what you like. I have found a way that allows me to quilt kings size quilts on my domestic sewing machine, it involves cutting your batting away from about a third of you quilt (so there is less to go under the arm of your machine) then you quilt the entire middle section, whip stitch the batting back together and stitch the outer third. It sounds complicated but it's not. There is a tutorial either on this site or you tube. There are also books on this topic. I was really hesitant about trying this, but sending the quilt out to be quilted was not in the budget at the time! Having said that, I will be the first to admit that my free motion quilting is not nearly as good as what I see on this site! You guys are great. But I love my quilt, quirky stitching and all!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM

The library here in Tucson has oodles of quilt books. You can check out up to 21 books, keep them 3 weeks and renew them 2 more times. So you can keep each book up to 9 weeks. I hope you have a really good library near where you live. Have fun.