Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt info for quilt journal >
  • Quilt info for quilt journal

• Quilt info for quilt journal

Old 11-15-2015, 05:03 PM

Smile Quilt info for quilt journal

Does anyone have a quilt journal if so what things do you capture, name of quilts dates...
    Old 11-15-2015, 08:11 PM
    Power Poster

I'm a minimalist when it comes to a quilt journal. I keep digital pictures online, and I keep a spreadsheet with the date finished, a small description (which includes pattern name if known), date completed, quilt dimensions, whether it's been in a quilt show, whether it has a sleeve and label, and disposition of the quilt. I wish I had kept track of the batting used. There are others who keep pictures of the quilt-making process, names of the fabrics used, price of the fabrics, problems encountered, just about anything you can think of.
    Old 11-15-2015, 09:51 PM

Keep photos of the ones you give away, to whom, the date finished (and maybe started). If you don't record at least that much, you will lose track. It's kinda fun to look at a list 20 years later and see what in a certain summer you finished...
    Old 11-15-2015, 11:24 PM

I kinda like to make a mini-scrapbook for each quilt. I just started doing that the last couple of quilts & it's super fun! I include the names/designer/manufacturer of the fabrics I used, the threads used to piece/applique/quilt, reference any notions used & talk about anything I think of that makes the quilt extra special ... like the fact that a fabric was a repro of a dress my grandmother had when she was a little girl, or why I chose to go with a particular design & what I know about the history of that design (or a couple drafts of it showing my design process if it's an original). And, of course, I put who I made it for, when & where. I add photos, sketches, scraps of material & whatnot to add visual & tactile interest. If I've inked/dyed any of the fabrics, I include what I used for that process & which colors.

The one thing I leave out is the one tiny special touch that goes into all my family quilts. I think it's fun to leave it out there as a mystery. It's fun to imagine someone generations from now will look at the quilts I did for family members and notice the one thing they all have in common.
    Old 11-16-2015, 01:31 AM

Everything above, plus at least one thing I've learned while making this quilt. It may how I corrected a mistake, how the fabrics came together even though I questioned them at first, or how I felt about a new technique I used. If I'm not learning something new with each quilt I make, I'm not progressing!
    Old 11-16-2015, 03:59 AM

My documentation may not be a mini scrap book but it is done with the same thought in mine. The quilts individuality is an important part of it's history and makes it a super fun providence to have. I have one quilt that is a whole cloth that was given to me and I love being able to talk about that in the documentation.

If there is love in every stitch then why not share it. The journey is as important. Friends made during the process. Things I learned about my friends during the quilting. A victorian crazy quilt that I'm working on netted the information that my quilting mentor and I both love owls.
    Old 11-16-2015, 05:13 AM
    Power Poster

I don't keep a journal either. I just try to remember to take a digital picture before it heads out for it's destination.
    Old 11-16-2015, 09:08 PM

I have not kept a quilt journal in the past although looking back I wish I had done so. I have recently started one but only keep limited info like the pattern, who received it and the date it was finished.