Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kits >

Quilt Kits

Quilt Kits

Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 AM

I ordered a kit from The Thimble Cottage and was very pleased with the kit and the customer service.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:14 AM

I have bought kits from Connecting Threads and Keepsake quilting, very pleased with the kits and the amount of fabric from both places.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I, like Jackie Spencer, have over 50 kits. I love kits! I make my own kits some times, but pre-made kits are delightful to me. My favorite place to order from is Fat Quarter Shop on line, fatquartershop.com . They give you ample fabric for your kits and I've NEVER had to call and ask for more due to mistakes. If the pattern calls for 6" of fabric, they give you a fat quarter! I have ALWAYS been extremely happy with their kits.

I just ordered from Fons and Porter and had to call them because my kit was short fabric, big time. But usually they give you just enough, and you hope you don't make mistakes. Connecting Threads has been good, also. I've boughten from everywhere and, like I said, Fat Quarter Shop puts everyplace else in the dust. And they have probably over 100 kits to choose from, ranging from wall hangings to king size quilts.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:08 PM

I have ordered many kits because I can't seem to get the fabric selection right. When you get the kit, check to make sure everything you need is there and the yardage is correct. I once got a kit where the fabric was not the length needed & instead of a fat quarter, I got a piece of fabric 3 in wide by 10 in long. The store was not helpful & needless to say that's the last purchase I made from them.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:24 PM

I love Connecting Threads quilt kits. They always have great fabric and there is always left over fabric for some quickie projects. Also, they are fast with getting it to you. I had an issue with one piece of fabric once and I called and they sent me a yard of the fabric when I only needed 1/3 of a yard. Great folks!!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:09 AM

[QUOTE=Kitty10628;6835524]I am thinking of ordering a quilt kit. Have you ordered one?

Any tips for me before I order?[/QUOTE

My sister had a problem with a kit because she prewashed the fabric. Whatever company or store she bought the kit from had measured the fabric exactly, assuming the fabric would be used UNWASHED. I would either make the kit up without washing any fabric, or else at least make sure there is enough fabric provided before you prewash the fabric.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:12 AM

Last year I bought a kit at a quilt show that I had fallen in love with, however, when I finally got around to it, I didn't have the same excitement. So, I've decided that part of the fun for me is choosing fabrics myself... But the kit was complete and easy to do.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 AM

I have made two kits. One, I ran out of fabric the second one, I added some fabric from my stash. You've gotten some great advice. Always check to see if you kit has everything and read thru the directions to see if some of the fabric is "too close for comfort" as in you can't make a mistake. If you have a color that is a no mistake fabric, substitute one that you have that you can afford to make a mistake with. Also, sew with a scant 1/4". My 1/4" foot is a large 1'4". So I know not to use it on kits.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:31 AM

Hearthside Quilts specializes mostly in kits for "classic" quilts, like Trip Around the World and Log Cabin. I purchased one from them in the early 1980's and the quality was great. They now have more quilts, colors and sizes. If I were looking for a kit, this would definitely be a place I'd consider.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM

Pretty well everyone I know have bought a quilt kit from both online stores and local quilt shops and all have been happy. The last quilt kit I saw a fellow quilter do, and it was just too cute was piper girl quilts out off Utah. I had never heard of them before and it was such a cute kit, Kits can sure make it easy if you get overwhelmed with fabric choices.