Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt label Questions >

Quilt label Questions

Quilt label Questions

Old 01-31-2024, 03:40 PM

Default Quilt label Questions

I've hardly ever made a quilt for someone I don't know. I'm now making a baby quilt for one of of my sister's co-workers. I'm also making a quilt for my cousin's g-grandson. Obviously, I know my cousin's children, but we aren't close. I barely know her grown grandchildren. (I wouldn't know them if I met them on the street.) I can't decide whether I should Put "made by me" on the label.

What do you do?

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 01-31-2024 at 03:44 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-31-2024, 03:56 PM

I think if it's your habit to label, stick with it. A label gives the quilt a little history, and that can be nice even if you don't know the giver. I've got books from my mother that she got as gifts, and I enjoy the dedications written in them even if I don't know the people who wrote them.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

I would definitely give it a personal label, and include the relationship, such as "great-great aunt" or "cousin to your great-great grandmother". It will make the gift more special.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:18 PM

Default Quilt label questions

Sure label it. It gives the quilt a history, of you where,and when. If the quilt lives for another 20 years,people will still be admiring your work.You just never know how a quilt will survive us.I hope my quilts, due to the labels I leave will still tell a story.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:50 AM

If you usually "sign" your quilt with a label, I say go for it. Quilting is every bit the art that painting is.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:17 AM

I bought generic labels with name and town on one side and washing instructions on the other. I use them most of the time for any quilts I make, whether for charity, friends, or others. Only once in a while do I make a specific label for someone close to me.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:41 AM

I vote for label too. Unless the child is a relative, I just put my name. If it is for a niece or nephew it is Auntie _____ , then my full name and for a grandchild, Grammie, then my name. A generation from now, no one will know who 'Grammie" is and it may no longer be in my own family any longer. I like Greg B's perspective.