Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels - Any ideas on making them? >

Quilt Labels - Any ideas on making them?

Quilt Labels - Any ideas on making them?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Default Quilt Labels - Any ideas on making them?

I’ve been quilting for many years and have always made my quilt labels from whatever I have that matches the quilt. Recently I’ve seen some really nice quilt labels that are premade or look professionally made. Would all of you wonderful quilters be willing to share with me:
• What your current method of labeling is,
• If you make your own label or have them made,
• What all you include in your quilt label, and
• If you are willing, some pictures of your quilt labels?
I look forward to hearing from you! Thank you in advance for sharing.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM

I have all my labels done by sewnsewer2 here on the board. They are machine embroidered and she is a dream to work with!!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 AM

There are lots of tutes here on the QB. I know because I wrote one of them.

ali
Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Luv2sew2011 just sent me some she made!!! They are wonderful!!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM

I use the alphabet feature on my Janome and put the recipient's name, my name, and date. Sometimes I add some floral stitches around the entire thing.

I'll have to check out the tutes.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM

You can make your own labels on your sewing machine. Draw a square or rectangle the size you want the label on a piece of fabric. If you have a machine with a small alphabet on it, you can use that for your message (don't cut the square/rectangle out until you have completed your message, it will be easier to work with a larger piece of fabric vs. a small label) or use a permanent fabric marker to write in your message. I usually put steam-a-seam on the label afterwards to stabilize it and then cut out the label. Fuse it to your quilt and use a zig zag or satin stitch or a decorative stitch if your machine has them to go around the edge of the label to hide the raw edges.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 PM

If you know the name of a tutorial would you let me know. I've done a search and can't find anything. Thanks for all the comments!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 PM

I use muslin that I border with one of the fabrics in the quilt. I use a permanent pen--one made for fabric--to handwrite all the information I want known on the quilt. That includes where the pattern orginated, for whom the quilt was made, the date it was completed, the name of the long arm quilter, the city and state where the quilt was made and anything else that makes the quilt special.

Machine made labels are wonderful, but I think quilt labels are a little like recipes--I love reading the recipes written in my mother's hand writing and I like to think people years from now would like to see the handwriting of the person who made the quilt.

Just remember, there is no way to put too much information on a quilt label. Think about what you would want to know about that quilt if you got it 100 years from now and put everything on that label you would want to know. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by Patticake View Post
I’ve been quilting for many years and have always made my quilt labels from whatever I have that matches the quilt. Recently I’ve seen some really nice quilt labels that are premade or look professionally made. Would all of you wonderful quilters be willing to share with me:
• What your current method of labeling is,
• If you make your own label or have them made,
• What all you include in your quilt label, and
• If you are willing, some pictures of your quilt labels?
I look forward to hearing from you! Thank you in advance for sharing.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I have all my labels done by sewnsewer2 here on the board. They are machine embroidered and she is a dream to work with!!
Ditto.....
Old 04-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

i have a couple books of label transfers i picked up at Joannes- they are assorted sizes, designs, themes- you iron them onto fabric & fill them in with permenent micron pens- i have bought yardage (from moda the last time) of lables that you simply cut out- finish the edges or apply fusable- again fill in with marker or embroidery- what ever
often i print a picture on a piece of fabric then write my label over the picture- or i design it on the computer & print it on fabric---there are tons of ways to make labels-
i have a friend who writes her label (with machine embroidery or a marker) on her binding- then you can read all the way around the quilt- i have even just written on the quilt itself with the label not being a separate component- but part of the quilt-
one quilt i made the label as the quilting itself- i love to write with the long-arm - my penmanship seems much better with the machine free hand than with a pen sometimes- so i just started at the top & wrote out a label/story as the quilting design.