Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

I'm looking for photos & info on making quilt labels. I've seen a lot of ideas on the internet using both handwritten labels & computer ink-jet printed. Can anyone post or email me photos of your actual labels so I can see what info is included in what order and how they look on the quilt?

Blog Entries
    i will have to look through some albums and see if i can find some label pic's but in the mean time---
    my labels consist of:
    the quilt name-
    created/quilted by- name, city, state, date---if a pattern was used the name of the pattern & designer
    fiber content- fabric & batting
    care instructions.

those are the *basics*
    if the quilt is for some one special or for a special occassion i will write about that also- like---
    this quilt was made special for-
    or
    (Dragonfly quilt- created for a special wedding gift for my beautiful Daughter ___ and her new husband ____
    on this ________day of _____________, __________
    created, designed, quilted by ____________ , city, state, date
    fiber content and care instructions.

it all depends on what the quilt is for- who it's for- if it's a program (like this Underground railroad quilt was made as a Saturday Sampler program offered by the Quilt house- 2005) pieced and quilted by _______ using the book "Underground Railroad" by Elenor Burns finished on- __________, city, state
    fiber content- care instructions.
    the more personal- the more information put on the quilt the more people will know about the quilt in years to come
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Name:  doc alley back.jpg
Views: 2441
Size:  74.8 KBName:  eagle label.JPG
Views: 3127
Size:  69.7 KBthe violin one was the back of a wallhanging I made my Dr some years ago in Alaska. Her cousin was killed in a whale vs boat accident and she had me make quilts for his wife and 3 daughters out of his clothes. So I made her a mini version out of the scraps.
    the Patriotic label is pretty self explanatory, it went to the family of the service member whose remains had been found and returned home that year.

What a great topic. I can't figure out what type of label to use or what it should say. I'm looking forward to all the entries of what other quilters are using.

Label for a wedding quilt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    I have made labels printed with my PC before and really liked how they turned out, but they do fade after multiple washings.
    Name:  01z.JPG
Views: 2446
Size:  69.6 KB Name:  02z.JPG
Views: 2385
Size:  133.0 KBName:  03z.JPG
Views: 2713
Size:  138.4 KB

So I started using machine embroidered labels that I order from Sew There Embroidery by Becky Cronin http://sewthereemb.com/ Most of the time I incorporate these into the top of the quilt.

She does really awesome work for a great price and these labels LAST!!
    I don't have an embroidery machine but sure wish I did.
    Name:  04z.JPG
Views: 2559
Size:  297.2 KBName:  050 - A Splash of Lime - compl 06.20.2011 - qltd by Charisma Horton Ephrata Wa.JPG
Views: 2391
Size:  179.6 KBName:  Close up.JPG
Views: 2369
Size:  147.8 KBName:  IMG_2095.JPG
Views: 2350
Size:  195.8 KB
    Last edited by Lady-T; 01-01-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Lady-T your labels are perfect compliments to the quilt! Very creative.

I bought a basic program to create labels to be made with my embroidery machine. It doesn't do real fancy labels, but the price was low compared to most. It is "Quilt Label Works" by Designer's Gallery. I got it from one of my local quilt shops for $70. A lot cheaper than everything else I looked at, and it does what I need it to do.
    Shirley in Arizona

I love all these gorgeous labels, but mine are rather simple. I basically try to recreate a miniature version of one of the blocks from the quilt front. Then I attach it to a rectangular piece of off white or white fabric where I write the name of the pattern, my name, to whom it was given and the date. Pretty basic.
    Karen in Kentucky

There is a quilt label iron on transfer book( at JoAnn's) of different labels, thinking you then use perm. ink pen to color them.

Blog Entries
    Very nice thanks for sharing!!!
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

Banned
    Blog Entries
    oh my..you all really create some very FUN, exciting and different labels...how cool! thanks for sharing the pix..keep them coming!

Lady T...can you tell me what pattern you used for the sweet 16.......lime green background.....Iam talking about the quilt not the label......would love the pattern.....my grandaughter loves that green.....thx Trish

Quote Originally Posted by Lady-T View Post
    I have made labels printed with my PC before and really liked how they turned out, but they do fade after multiple washings.
    Name:  01z.JPG
Views: 2446
Size:  69.6 KB Name:  02z.JPG
Views: 2385
Size:  133.0 KBName:  03z.JPG
Views: 2713
Size:  138.4 KB

So I started using machine embroidered labels that I order from Sew There Embroidery by Becky Cronin http://sewthereemb.com/ Most of the time I incorporate these into the top of the quilt.

She does really awesome work for a great price and these labels LAST!!
    I don't have an embroidery machine but sure wish I did.
    Name:  04z.JPG
Views: 2559
Size:  297.2 KBName:  050 - A Splash of Lime - compl 06.20.2011 - qltd by Charisma Horton Ephrata Wa.JPG
Views: 2391
Size:  179.6 KBName:  Close up.JPG
Views: 2369
Size:  147.8 KBName:  IMG_2095.JPG
Views: 2350
Size:  195.8 KB
    Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful labels. I have printed out a picture of the one you did for your USMC quilt. I am making one for my BIL and am just getting ready to bind it and label it. I will use your design, with your permission, to label my quilt. It is perfect and beautiful.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

Wow, your labels are great!
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

Blog Entries
    great information. Thank you so much

I love your labels...they are just so full of love and caring and what a wonderful addition to a quilt that ALWAYS indicates great love, affection and caring. Thanks so much for sharing them with all of us.
    Be responsible, spay/neuter your pets and encourage friends/relatives to do the same. All babies are cute but if they don't have a home they live a life of torture, starvation, fear, and pain. YOU can make a difference!

Here's a couple of mine. I do them on my embroidery machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

Very pretty labels Drue.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

These are all wonderfully attractive! Generally, I use my machine to straight-line embroider pieced and quilted by (my name) for _name_, county and state name, and year. I do not utilize patterns so that is not necessary. Then this long embroidered strip is sewn onto the backing at edge before I hand stitch the binding down. If the quilt has taken me some 50-60 hours to complete, (I have had four like that recently) then I apply the label before any quilting is done. Therefore, the quilt never get altered by some unworthy person or lost at a fair.
    When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me". Erma Bombeck

All the labels in the pics are awesome. I am thinking I would like one that is a bit smaller than some. Don't know why, maybe a 3/4" one, or I don't know what I am talking about.lol
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    Go to http://beehivequilt.blogspot.com/201...bels-free.html There is a link where you can down load some for free. Then you just print them on ink jet fabric labels. Easy to do.
    Peggy
    Keep on Quilting!
    http://www.beehivequilts.com
    http://www.beehivequilt.blogspot.com/

Two labels for quilts.

I actually have two lables. One is the personal kind you see from others, that have the quilt namd and year finished. The second one is the commercial one my state request any craft sold should wear. The persnal kind is only limited by your own imagination. I includ a picture of the commercial one. I sew it on the back of the quilt under the binding it lets anyone one know the bottom of the quilt. Oh yes I use the heat transfer method, iron it on to very thin white material. It washes great.
    Nothing beats a try but a failure.
    We all fall short of the mark.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t174479.html
    I love to paper piece. there are alsew books @ Jo Ann Fabrics that have transfers, or you can be bold and make a statement and make your own!!
    happy hunting!
    katz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast