Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels >

Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

Old 10-30-2017, 03:50 AM

I embroider labels for my quilts that I am gifting. Have not put labels on the others. I don't even have pictures of all the quilts I have made. Wish I did!!! I have started to take pictures but have missed the early years.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think I would like some personal contact -
You might like personal contact with some people, but probably not everyone, and once a quilt is given for a charitable cause, you can't control who it goes to. Remember, a lot of these charities are for victims of rough situations you might not want to get involoved in. I have no problem donating quilts to comfort women in the battered women's shelter, but I wouldn't want to become part of their drama. Just saying...
Old 10-30-2017, 04:03 AM

I label all my quilts that are just for family and friends. I generally use fabric paint to write them, or I hand embroider.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:32 AM

I always put labels on my quilts. Now I usually embroider them. I like to tell a story if that's possible depending on the quilt. I also include care instructions.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:45 AM

I like the idea of labeling a quilt. I'm fairly new to quilting, so have only labeled one. I didn't gift it for several months, as I could not figure a way to label it that I was happy with. I finally bought some of those fabric sheets that you use in your printer. I liked the looks of it (it worked easily), but the the "fabric" was like starched canvas. It was very difficult to sew onto the quilt back. I could never have done it without a thimble and a couple of bad words. I'm not looking forward to labeling the next one.

I don't have an embroidery machine and I don't embroider. The pre-made labels don't give you space to write anything except who made the quilt and when. I don't care for the look of hand written ones, so I'm at a loss for what to try next.

bkay
Old 10-30-2017, 06:03 AM

I just started to label my “gift” quilts the past couple of years...but I didn’t in the beginning. I think it is a nice touch and personalizes your gift.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 AM

I write on the backing all information. There is no danger of them getting taken off.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:06 AM

I don't like labels on anything I own, so I don't add them to my quilts either. I don't usually like how they look on quilts, actually, I think they're often too distracting. I rip labels off of everything I buy, so it seems counter-intuitive to sew labels onto something I've made. Neither of my grandmothers labeled their quilts, so to me, a "traditional" quilt doesn't include any labels anyway.

I've bought labels a couple of times, because I've been told I "need" to label my quilts. But I never use them, so I've given up on the idea. Labels are for others, I guess. I don't feel the need or desire to use them myself.

I actually really hope none of my quilts last long enough for someone to wonder who made them - I hope they're used so much they fall apart long before then!
Old 10-30-2017, 06:10 AM

I don't label my quilts either. Like so many things, it's up to you if you want to or not.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:37 AM

I ALWAYS PUT A LABEL ON. I also keep an album, small, with extra notes in it. You can not believe how many times those notes have rattled my brain as to why I did something the way I did!