Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels >

Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

Old 10-28-2017, 06:05 PM

Default Quilt Labels

I just completed two lap/couch quilts as gifts, one for a dear friend who lives out of state and the other for my wonderful daughter-in-law (I will try to post photos at a later date once the quilting is done). One is a log cabin using sweet, soft and feminine florals, and the other is a rail fence pattern using metallic prints -it is definitely eye-catching. I love the process of designing a quilt, choosing the patterns, fabrics, etc. and the piecing process. I usually do my own quilting, not always easy on my Brother SQ 9185, but my quilting skills are limited to stitch-in-the-ditch and a wavy variant thereof. I've yet to get the hang of stippling, even though my machine came with the foot to do this. Anyway, These two quilts are just too nice to be subjected to my limited skills, so I have decided to have a friend (and quilt-group associate) quilt them on her long-arm. I had taken these to "show and tell," which my group does during a break during our four-hour sewing sessions. To my surprise, a couple of our members insisted I must put a Label on these quilts. I have never, ever considered putting labels on any of my quilts and, consequently, I don't have any. One member thought it was important enough that she said she'd make embroidered labels for me. SO, my question is this: Do You put labels on your quilts? If so, why do you do so, and do you do it for all quilts or just some of them?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-29-2017 at 04:08 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 10-28-2017, 06:35 PM

All of them! If they are gifts, or if they remain in my trunks. I think it's important that future owners know "who and where". For instance, my info is embroidered inside the outline of my state ( Tennessee). I should recant a bit...I do not put my name on charity quilts. I especially think that someday your g, g, grandkids would like to know who Madeira the quilt in the cedar chest! Do reconsider and put labels proudly on yourself quilts.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:44 PM

Yes, except quilts made for fund raisers. Mine are hand written on muslin. I like to sew two edges with the binding and blanket stitch the other two by hand.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:09 PM

I have only put an official label on a couple of quilts that I've gifted. However, I do always put a little simple label on each of my quilts that say "Made Especially For You by (my name here)". They are sew in labels that I had made up by one of those online label making stores. I also put them on things like table runners, pillow cases, etc. that I make for others.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:10 PM

Yes! On all but charity quilts. On those I put a label that reads, " Made by someone that thinks you are special".
I use labels that are ironed onto muslin and colored with crayons. Iron sandwiched between several layers of paper towels. That removes the wax and leaves a soft color. All writing I do with a very thin permanent marker.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:48 PM

I "label" all my quilts by embroidering what I want onto the backing fabric (before it is layered and quilted) with my embroidery machine.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:04 PM

I label everything.

For those things I keep, I am interested in having a record of when I made them. For those I gift, I print a label using the front fabrics and giving details of date, for, from and why.

I enclose two sides with the binding and hand stitch the other two sides.

Wherever they end up, someone might be interested to know who made it and when.
Old 10-29-2017, 02:08 AM
Power Poster

I put labels for anyone in the future who might be interested. I have read posts here, where someone found an older quilt in a sale, or in an attic, and nothing was known about who made it, when, or for what reason.

I use fabric that has a light print on it, and hand write them. My stitching wouldn't take any prizes, but they are sewn.
Attached Thumbnails christophers-surprise-label.jpg  
Old 10-29-2017, 02:32 AM

Yes. Always put a label on them especially for gifts. It lets the recipient know that that quilt was made just for them! It will also be a reminder of when and why the quilt was gifted. I have found that everyone I have ever made a quilt for is touched by the gesture and really treasures it. But in years to come, will they remember who, when , or why they received it? I doubt it very much. I keep a record of all the quilts I have made, but they all have a label as well. Even I can't remember what year they were made, the name of the pattern, etc.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

I label all of my projects. (Generic) ones- meaning not made for someone special or special occasion may get a simple one — name of quilt, my name, City, state, date finished ( or at least the year) fiber content & care instructions.
when it is for someone special or a special occasion I do a more personalized label - still containing the above information along with the personalized information.
the labels might be embroidered, hand written with permanent fabric pens, designed and printed from the computer or permanent. I’ve used them all.