Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt ladder - happy! >

quilt ladder - happy!

quilt ladder - happy!

Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 AM

Was just thinking as I re-read some of the comment here. Do these quilts have labels on them ???? If not do it now...as latter no one will remember....I have so many things from my mother, her mother and her family, that I have no clue of who and what they are......I just stared this month putting tags on things that I know the history of and working on a modest family tree, as I am the last surviving member of my family.....and even thou I am only 65 sometims I have to think hard as to what is what and who is who....
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 AM

nice ladder and awesome quilts. your hubby did good.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM

You just gave me a wonderful idea for a birthday present! Put in a call to Dad and am going to ask him to make me one. Then I'll be able to display more than one of Grandma's quilts and some I've made. Yours looks awesome! Enjoy!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 AM

Awsome ladder. Your DH did a great job. Those quilts are wonderful. I have one quilt made by my great-grandmother for me when I was born, that would make it 68+ years old. It has been used hard and washed about a million times. It is still going strong. Putting a label on it is a wonderful idea. Thanks
Sue
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Great ladder. I think I'll show it to MY son and see what happens!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:48 AM

The original plan was to put this behind the couch. The couch is angled out from a corner with a dusty plastic tree behind it. (Dated and ycch, I know.) but ... if you put it behind the couch you lose sight of the bottom 2 - 3 rungs so .. it ended up here. The NEXT plan - we'll see how long this takes - is to build TWO of the same type ladder and hinge them on the long sides. This will be put in the corner behind the couch. There are a few more family quilts to be displayed, but this will mainly be for the quilts I've made. Even those that are in progress can go there while they wait to be sandwiched and quilted.

Labels? GREAT idea. My son is 33 and I was telling him about each of these last night - and he had no idea. His 29-year old sister has no clue either.

Refolding for fading - another great idea. When these were in our bedroom that didn't happen, but I knew absolutely nothing about quilts or quilting. Now as an educated person I can do better. I had a few on an old family wooden ladder, but the rest were folded under a bench at the foot of the bed - no direct sunlight.

Thanks for the atta-girls (and atta-husbands) and good advice.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 AM

When my mother-in-law was showing me this Sunbonnet Sue - her first quilt - she pointed out each flaw in it. Flaws I couldn't see, of course, but which I'm sure had been pointed out to her by her rather harsh mother. So not only did I learn more about her - which made it a bit easier to understand her, I learned a lesson that helps me today. Flaw? Shmaw! Enjoy the quilt - process and product!

Here's a close up of each one. The amount of quilting interests me - several are tied - the Sunbonnet Sue has very little quilting - this was a first one by a child so that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails dsc02789.jpg   dsc02790.jpg   dsc02791.jpg   dsc02792.jpg   dsc02793.jpg  

dsc02794.jpg  
Old 07-26-2012, 10:25 AM

Beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing them and the ladder idea.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 AM

Beautiful! I bought an old orchard ladder that one member showed us a while ago. The only trouble with that is the top is narrower and tapers out at the bottom. I didn't know about quilt ladders. It's perfect, of course.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Great quilt display ladder. Nice quilts.