Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilt layering wall-HELPPPP

Have you ever spray basted before? If you haven't you will need to keep in mind that there is overspray that will get on your wall & floor. You will also be breathing in some of it.

I used to spray baste on my living room floor, using newspaper to reduce the overspray. It helped but didn't stop it. I stopped the spray basting when we got new carpet.

I also wore a painter's mask but it got hot when I was working on those big king size quilts.

Good luck with your project! I hope it will turn out exactly like you have in mind!

Blog Entries
    My DH put a strip of carpet tack board at the top of the wall in the hallway. I sew baste a hanging strip on the backing & quilt top & then just use the tacks to hold the hanging strip, batting & top in place & then I tape to the wall. I baste my layers together cause I hand quilt. Usually DH does the basting for me as he so tall.

Blog Entries
    What about using a 4x8 sheet of insulation foam that contractors use for homes and cover it with felt or batting. When not in use you can put it away (if you have the space).

Blog Entries
    8' wide, leaning against wall
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    GREAT ideas. Can't wait to get it done. Thanks all!

Blog Entries
    VELCRO!! Use the heavy duty stick on kind. You can get the pre-cut pieces or get a roll and cut your own pieces. Attach one side of the Velcro to the wall, one side to the insulation board. When you're done, pull down the insulation board and store it. Leave the pieces on the wall. Buy a cheap flannel backed plastic tablecloth. Attach the appropriate pieces of Velcro to the top edge of the plastic side of the tablecloth. Instant removeable design wall using the same pieces of Velcro that you left on the wall!!

Blog Entries
    Fantastic!

I use the pink insulation board covered with flannel fabric secured with push pins at the edge of the board. It stays up on the wall because it is the same width as the wall so it is held in place by the door molding on one side and the wall corner on the other side. I have it only as high as I can reach, but it makes sense to have it high enough for the ceiling to hold the top of it in place. In my previous home I used heavy duty double sticky stuff on the back, but don't need it here. I like the foam because I can stick pins in it. Mine stays on the wall, but it would be simple enough to take it down if necessary.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by mona202
    I looked them up and I think they may work well. I just need a way to either keep them on the wall of at least steady while I am using it.
    I duct taped 2 of the 4x8 ft insulation sheets together ... as a hinge. Now when my wall isn't in use it is folded up and fits behind a tall bookcase in my living room. The part that shows is draped with a throw and then a mola over that. Everyone thinks it is a design element in my living room.

When I need to use it I just pull it out and it goes against my patio doors and the adjacent wall.

ali
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about using large clips that men use in the workshop to hold the quilt onto the top of the boards.

Blog Entries
    Very nice! What did u cover the boards with?

Blog Entries
    Good idea. When payday comes, the hardware store will be the first stop!

Foam core boards. You can get them in various sizes and thickness. They also come in packages of three in office supply stores. Mine is tacked on the wall and right now has 3 different projects on it. I would like to get more to have a bigger work wall.

great idea. Need to do somehting like that. very hard on the floor, basting tough on the knees :roll:

I have a large piece, what ever the standard size of sturdy insulation. I has a shiny covering on all sides. It was then covered with flannel which was pulled tight and taped down with good old duc tape. The pannel is at least ten years old and has never failed me.

I would consider standing a second beside it if I had the room to lay our multiple quilts or one double size quilt top.

3m hook and tape might be one method that way they would be removeable with damage to your wall....i use a picnic table cloth with a flannel backing that way i can take it down and put it away when not in use...which is not very often

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah. I forgot about the new 3m products. Thanks!

Senior Member Rosie the "Ripper"'s Avatar
    Mona202- If you don't want to mount the foam boards permanently on your wall why don't you get the heavy duty velcro made by 3M and use that ? It comes in black and white and if you get the color closest to your wall and put them way up high by the ceiling you can leave that half up and the other half (the sticky one) stays on the board. No one would notice the part left on the wall. Take the board down and store it when finished using it. It will be ready to stick up when you are ready again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewmary
    My daughter came up with something that has worked for me. We got two long trim boards, drilled a hole on each end, and use long screws with wing nuts on them. This allows the two boards to clamp together. This is hung from a chain attached to the boards which go through hooks in the wall. I can clamp a piece of insulation board into this and sandwich my quilts. I have even clamped the quilts in themselves and sandwiched the quilts.
    This sounds interesting, and not too expensive. Worth giving a try, do you have a pic you could post?

I use a regular paper stapler to staple mine to a large wall in my bedroom. I keep that wall free of anything else just for basting quilts even though I only make 3 or 4 a year. When I'm done and pull all the staples out you can't tell they were there. they also don't damage the fabric. I love the idea of using insulation. I could use that area for something else then.

Quote Originally Posted by GemState
    I got flannel backed tablecloth, zigzagged two lengths together and put this on a wall in my garage. It worked great except I had a problem with the spray that went on the floor. I used newspaper on the floor to catch the overspray, but then the newspaper stuck to my feet. I tried an old sheet and that was a little better but still the stickiness on my feet.
    Any suggestions?
    How about cheap plastic you buy at the hardware store?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by My time
    Quote Originally Posted by GemState
    I got flannel backed tablecloth, zigzagged two lengths together and put this on a wall in my garage. It worked great except I had a problem with the spray that went on the floor. I used newspaper on the floor to catch the overspray, but then the newspaper stuck to my feet. I tried an old sheet and that was a little better but still the stickiness on my feet.
    Any suggestions?
    How about cheap plastic you buy at the hardware store?
    This might work well........and then we could always go barefoot and maybe grease our feet!!! :)

Blog Entries
    Who couldnt use a little foot conditioner? lol

For my design wall, my Hubby bought two sheets (4X8) of foam insulation, covered them with batting, and used liquid nails to put them up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2